Monday, April 27, 2020

Re: [electricboats] AGM or LiFePo4

Can build batteries cell by cell to what u want like some lg batteries
Even old laptop batteries
I believe the Tesla packs are 24v
Can run them in series
Not sure if the bms has been hacked for them or not
Leaf batteries are about 8v? A battery

Some say u can Parallel cells so you need smaller bms just make sure each cell about same voltage as the rest
Technically I believe once u parallel they will self equalize 

I have been using 32s ant bms that has a Bluetooth bms so you monitor it all in a cell phone

Can check the web or eBay for Tesla prices off too my head $1000 for 24v ???  But they last a long time



On Monday, April 27, 2020, 08:17, john via groups.io <oak_box=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

The Torqeedo Cruise 4 is a 48V system.

I also have one on a small wooden boat, that originally used a gas outboard.
I'm going to attempt running it on a 48V electric bike battery - but the ebike battery only has a 20Ah rating - so this will only be for proof of concept, and clearly won't power the motor for very long, and the motor will have to ONLY be run at very low power.

Are any of the surplus Tesla or Leaf batteries available in 48V banks, or can they be easily configured for 48V?

The ebike batteries are easy to use, and reasonably priced.  Just not sure if they can be combined in parallel??
The ebike batteries typically have internal BMS systems of unknown type.  I'm assuming they should NOT be charged in parallel, and I really don't know how reasonable it would be to connect them in parallel for running.

Thoughts?

John

On Monday, April 27, 2020, 10:03:53 AM CDT, sw via groups.io <v1opps=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:


Is that 24v or 48v?
Can buy surpluses Tesla , leaf or other packs too




On Monday, April 27, 2020, 07:43, greenpjs04 <forums@greensdomain.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Over 10 years ago, you guys helped me to convert my 24' pontoon to
electric.  I ended up with a Torqeedo Cruise 4, four group 31 AGM
batteries and a 4 channel DualPro charger.  I've had ten great summers
using this configuration on some inland lakes in Ohio. Last summer, I
started noticing the battery capacity wasn't what it was when the
batteries were new.  The Torqeedo would shut down due to "depleted
batteries", but I was always able to turn it off and then back on where
upon I could return home at a slower pace. That is one of the things I
like about electric vs gasoline.  I have never been stranded.

Anyway, I suppose it is time to replace the batteries.  I can't complain
about getting 10 years out of them.  As I see it, I have two options:

1. Buy another set of AGMs - a little under $1000

2. Buy LiFePo4's - at least double the cost, but less weight and more
usable range.

As an engineer, I like using new technologies so I lean toward the
LiFePo4's.  However, many of the posters I follow on this forum bought
them directly from Chinese suppliers.  With all the COVID 19 disruptions
to business and our government threatening to raise tariffs, I worry
about placing an order that never gets filled.

I would appreciate any opinions on which way to go and any
recommendations for low risk suppliers for batteries.

Thanks,

Pat





No comments:

Post a Comment