Monday, April 27, 2020

Re: [electricboats] AGM or LiFePo4

Pat,
Battleborne Lifepo4 are made in the US. I just got some batteries from another company in China that shipped in late January, so they were still shipping at that time. About $3k for 13 kwh worth with a BMS. The Tesla option is quite a bit cheaper but since they are pure lithium I don't know if I would want them on a boat. I think the Leaf is NIMH.
Jerry

On April 27, 2020, at 9:43 AM, greenpjs04 <forums@greensdomain.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Over 10 years ago, you guys helped me to convert my 24' pontoon to
electric.  I ended up with a Torqeedo Cruise 4, four group 31 AGM
batteries and a 4 channel DualPro charger.  I've had ten great summers
using this configuration on some inland lakes in Ohio. Last summer, I
started noticing the battery capacity wasn't what it was when the
batteries were new.  The Torqeedo would shut down due to "depleted
batteries", but I was always able to turn it off and then back on where
upon I could return home at a slower pace. That is one of the things I
like about electric vs gasoline.  I have never been stranded.

Anyway, I suppose it is time to replace the batteries.  I can't complain
about getting 10 years out of them.  As I see it, I have two options:

1. Buy another set of AGMs - a little under $1000

2. Buy LiFePo4's - at least double the cost, but less weight and more
usable range.

As an engineer, I like using new technologies so I lean toward the
LiFePo4's.  However, many of the posters I follow on this forum bought
them directly from Chinese suppliers.  With all the COVID 19 disruptions
to business and our government threatening to raise tariffs, I worry
about placing an order that never gets filled.

I would appreciate any opinions on which way to go and any
recommendations for low risk suppliers for batteries.

Thanks,

Pat






-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30381): https://groups.io/g/electricboats/message/30381
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/73305388/3360820
Group Owner: electricboats+owner@groups.io
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/electricboats/leave/6293187/430022002/xyzzy [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

No comments:

Post a Comment