Saturday, January 25, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Trolling Motor Propellers (was: propulsion Navy 3.0 Propeller Dimensions)

Kieth,  you have the right idea. I started going down that path and would have liked a slow spinning direct drive. For sake of time and money, I just gutted the Honda which wasn't running anyway. Another not so apparent benefit of an underwater direct drive unit is the lack of any sound. The Golden motor 3 KW BLDC I used is a noisy little bugger.  My use case is also different, I generally only use my dinghy to get to my mooring and back. 


Here's a few random specs

-Honda 2.3BF donor 
-Golden motor 3kw water cooled
- 52 volt 1.5 kwh (usable) Lifep04 
-4600 RPM no load at motor, 1,865 prop RPM (2.42:1) reduction
-original prop hand bent for increased pitch (higher top end) 

- 11 mile range at 3 knots 
- 5.5 mile range  4 knots  

I have only tested this setup on my west marine RU 250 roll up dinghy which is probably the least efficient hull out there.   



Matt Foley 
Sunlight Conversions
Perpetual Energy, LLC
201-914-0466


On Saturday, January 25, 2020, 10:09:02 AM EST, cpcanoesailor via Groups.Io <cpcanoesailor=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:


Lots of great info has been shared already. Thanks!

I've been using APC 11x6 tractor props with Haswing trolling motors. I found I could disassemble the motor handle and mount it facing the other direction, so the prop faces forward. Then, I'm running the (brushed) motor as intended. Or, if brushless, I still can use the finer speed control provided in the forward direction. I also mounted a nose cone around the prop to reduce drag.

No comments:

Post a Comment