Saturday, January 11, 2020

Re: [electricboats] [Electric Boats] Battery Bank Charging >> How to run "hybrid" with a generator?

Helpful report. 
I have a 10kw drive in my 1978 Tartan 34 with a 100 ah LIFEPO4 battery bank.
I wanted to extend my range so I bought a 2kw generator but have not used it , yet.
Just for the record, I have an Orion Jr. BMS with switching relays to limit charging and discharge.
This winter I am intentionally leaving the battery bank sit at about 50% charge to extend the battery life.
I have noticed that I can spin the propellor enough so I think it begins to cavitate. Have you experienced

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 6:33 PM John Montgomery via Groups.Io <gotz2sail=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi,

I have a 5kw motor, 240ah bank at 48v. The charger I had at the time output 15a. I knew I was going to upgrade to a 25a charger. Sidenote, USBatttery eng. recommend a charger that can do 20% or slightly more of your amp hours. So the 15a was to small. 

Anyway, I ran the math. 48v at 25a is 1200w. 1200w at 120v is 10a. I found a generator at home Depot that ran 1600w continuous with an RV connector. I ran generator connected to my shore power connection. Charger ran 120v to 48v and then the buss. 

I clamped the battery leads and saw 0a, 15a from charger . Throttled up to say 20a, I'd see 15a from charger then 5a out of bank. Tada motor sailing/hybrid gen.

Kind of a sloppy set up but it worked. To do like your saying about gen to motor you'd need some kind of ac-dc drive. 120v in and 48v out with enough amp out to push you along. I'm powering a 30' Newport sailboat, 20a gets me going assuming I don't have a headwind ect. Think about what your pushing. Is 20a enough? If so you'll need something that can do 20a continous with spurts above that for a minute.

Hope I wasn't to confusing.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#30175) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment