Saturday, September 9, 2017

[Electric Boats] Re: Motenergy ME1305 problems

 

I must confess to a general lack of knowledge specific to Sevcon controllers. I use Kelly, both sine and square (actually trapezoidal) type. A mysteriously appearing growling noise is a common symptom of loose hall sensor connection, bad sensor, or loose phase cable connection. A mismatch between phase and hall connections will make a growling grinding sound some times, and consume a lot of current for very low revs, sometimes in only one direction. Sometimes it won't even turn over at all, even though the phase lines are energized.

Try unplugging and replugging the hall sensor connector, and wiggling it. If you can clear, and then recreate the malfuction that way, you know the cause and can work out a remedy. Try to wiggle the phase cables, too, at both ends.

I no longer use plug in connectors for hall sensor wiring. I use a proper terminal block and well crimped closed end (circular) terminal lugs, and the connections are part of my preflight checklist that I go through about once a month, or when something seems to be wrong. Particularly suspect are multi conductor plug in connectors. The simple bullet type isn't quite as prone to malfunction.

Near any connection that is frequently checked, such as battery terminals,controller or motor, hall, whatever, I have mounted the appropriate tool, so I don't have to go digging for a particular one.

A spare hall sensor array is a nice thing to have, BTW. Says the guy who doesn't have one. But I do have a whole spare motor.



---In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, <benjatelcom@...> wrote :

Greetings all,

Have about 24hrs of run time on my Motenergy ME1305 PMAC motor. Running through a Sevcon Gen4 90A controller on my 1983 Duffy electric boat.

Out cruising on the Vermilion Bayou for an extended length trip, was running up river at about 1500W (out of 5kW available) when the controller shut down with code 11 blinking on the Sevcon status LED.

The manual indicates:
A. Motor resolver fault
B. Motor over current
C. Motor current control fault

The motor was running steady at 1500W and 1500RPM when it shut down. I cycled off the controller for 60 seconds and restarted it, and it would run for a few minutes and shut down again. The motor was hot from continuous use, around 120F, but has never overheated. I put a 12V fan on top of the motor and controller and got it cooled off to nearly ambient, but it continued to shut down on code 11.

It usually shuts down silently, but occasionally would rev a bit, and once it growled loudly. I never saw my amp meter spike but its hard to watch when it shuts down.

Any thoughts or ideas? I've talked with Thunderstruck EV support and Motenergy a bit, they seem hesitant to blame the hall effect sensor. I've hopefully ordered a new sensor from Motenergy for $10 and will get it spliced in tomorrow if it arrives.



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment