Sunday, May 22, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Cost for Lithium vs Lead Acid

 

I'm with Mike. Lead is NOT dead!, yet. Not by a long shot.


Capt. Carter
www.shipofimagination.com

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android


From:"Mike biankablog@verizon.net [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Date:Sun, May 22, 2016 at 10:06 AM
Subject:Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Cost for Lithium vs Lead Acid



I'm about to start my ninth season with my 8A4D AGM 48 volt battery bank and they seem to be holding up well. I'd like to get to ten years and so far it looks like I will. As you mentioned the type of boat/car use may influence what batteries are most cost effective. I have a 30 foot SAILboat the EP system is truly auxilary propulsion. Though I can operate in hybrid mode with my Honda 2000 should I need too. After seeing how my AGM's are holding up and how Lithium prices have not come down as much as I thought they would. I probably will repower with the AGM's since my boats charging infrastructure chargers/solar/wind are setup for AGM charging. It continues to work for me and as they say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" :)


On Sunday, May 22, 2016 6:38 AM, king_of_neworleans <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 
Well, 2 years ago I bought 8 6v GC2 golf cart batteries, 220ah, from Sam's Club for $85/ea. So $680 plus core and tax for a 220ah, 48v or let's see... 10.56 kw/hr. so call it $64.4/kwhr. Lithium has a lot of advantages, but for getting a foot in the door cheaply, the golf cart batteries are the way. I simply could not afford Lithium, period.

I think one reason LEV builders favor lithium is the energy density. More kw/hr per pound of weight. Weight is not as much of an issue in a boat, generally. For a land vehicle the weight penalty when climbing hills or stop and go (well, the go part, anyway) is a significant impairment. So on top of all the other advantages of lithium, for wheeled vehicles, there is the weight issue as well.




__._,_.___

Posted by: Carter Quillen <twowheelinguy@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (11)

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment