Saturday, December 27, 2014

Re: [Electric Boats] FW: New Member from Iceland--- a Note or two

 

Watch the charger size, and recharge times possible with different battery types, and battery sizes.  I can not think of a system that would take a charging time of "less than one hour" without a pack melt down, or at least shorten the battery life enough to make some ( maybe not all ) batteries in the pack lose capacity too fast to be cost effective.  I have always used the thought that it takes just as long to recharge as it took to deplete the pack to that point.  Been there, burnt out a new charger that way, and be sure the dock cord is up to the amps as well, now I use a 10 gauge to 2/0 by 50  to 100 ft. foot cord as needed, not a regular one.  Dock power plugs needs a looking at also for fast chargers.
 
Both my boat wet cells, and my bike with lithiums have normally taken that long with the factory chargers, faster may be harmful for long term use.  Two packs, charged after each was used, is a good turn around if a bit heavier than we would like.  That way smaller batteries can be used, depending on run time of course.
 
Thanks,  Cal
 
 
 
From: ]
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2014 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] FW: New Member from Iceland
 
 

Thank you Hannou
 
for exellant advice I do admit that i had not counted legal costs as an considerable factor and I to my best knowledge there are just inspections fees if I have an boat yard do the hulls the electronics and electric propulsion I have certification to do most of that my self and then we have our seafaring certification authority to have inspections and seafaring certification. Here in Iceland we have basically the Norwegian / Scandinavian rule set so what is allowed there will in most cases pass here (depends though on the day-form of the inspector) all electric runs in boats her are double insulated an always demanded for the most expensive and highest quality of materials.
I have found Lithium Polymer batteries that are 6.5 KW/Ah per 40 kg that gives me approx 250 KG pr. 40 KW/Ah I how ever need to pair them up with some hefty chargers where I intend to charge them in less than an hour to have acceptable turn around time.
This is not so far from the 2 x 35 hp outboards + fuel and batteries may be 1 or 2 passenger penalty and approx same for emergent gen sets 10 -20% less passengers in trade off for silence an Eco friendliness, is may be acceptable but costs are running quickly up an making the endevaor less feaseble
 
2014-12-25 11:18 GMT+00:00 Hannu Venermo gcode.fi@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>:
 

I am analytical and look at numbers.
As such, the project is expensive but doable.

25 kWhr usable load needs a minimum 30 kWhr battery (similar size as a tesla), and with some margin 40 kWhr.
At 500 $ / kWhr, ==> 20.000$.
At, say, 100 Wh/kg, => 400 kg battery mass.

Thus, its technically feasible, since the motors will be small and light.
The extra battery mass is likely still doable.

I would suggest planning around 100.000$ for systems cost.
Note requirement for proper schematics, survey, a licensed marine engineers write-off on safety etc. as its a commercial vessel.
Perhaps double insulated cables.

In a fjord (Norway) the engineers costs and licensing will be reasonable.

All prices are in line for any other custom commercial, insured, build, in my opinion and in my experience.
Any custom build will have the same safety and licensing costs, anyway.

The last thing you look at, or should think about, is motors, controllers etc.
The first thing you look at is systems cost, legal, engineering practicalities, and any suitable "white-box" technology will slot right in.

All good engineering solutions are pretty much comparable, and any one will work.
The legal aspects are about 2/3 the total cost and work, and should be the overriding focus, in the initial business plan.

In the us, or here in spain, the legal aspects might easily cost more than the 100k budget I mentioned.
In scandinavia, not necessarily.

I can advise further, if there is interest.

On 24/12/2014 20:57, 'Myles Twete' matwete@comcast.net [electricboats] wrote:
 

Any feedback for this gentleman?

 

From: electricboats-owner@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats-owner@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Stefán Brandur Jónsson stefan@martolvan.is [electricboats]
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:11 AM
To: electricboats Moderator
Subject: Re: FILE - Welcome

 

Hi All

 

I'm Stefan from Iceland, I'm an electronics field engineer by profession and bit of an boat and energy efficiency enthusiast.

My latest project is an feasibility / business plan for an catamaran tourist boat for using in my fjord that is for the most part very shallow, I think that an electric Jet drive would be the best fit where I need to overcome currents up to 8 knots in graceful manner. are there any ones that have some good advice on motor, battery and controller choices. My goal is to go electric only on approx hour trip on approx 25 KW load (max power 2 x 28 KW).

Look forward to comments.

,_._,___

--   -hanermo (cnc designs)  


 
--

Kveðja – Regards
Stefán B. Jónsson


Sími: +354-4781309 GSM: +354 8946541, skype: stefan.martolvan.is
Trúnaður /Disclosure

http://www.martolvan.is/tunadur-tolvuposts.html

__._,_.___

Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment