Sunday, February 6, 2022

[electricboats] Bolt hole tolerance when laser cutting 1/2 inch stainless steel

Progress continues on the 55' electric motor conversion.

Next question: When laser cutting my 1/2" stainless steel plate for the motor mount (or other parts), what hole tolerance should I consider?

I get different answers when I look online: Clearance Hole Chart (amesweb.info) 
suggests that for a 1/2" bolt a 'close' fit I should be between .531 and .538, and 'loose' fit .609 and .625 with 'normal' fit in between.

But other sites are more prescriptive, telling me that I should use .5156 for a tight fit and .5312 for a loose fit. (basically 1/64" clearance for tight, and 1/32" clearance for loose. Clearance Hole Size for Bolts and Screws (Imperial) - The Engineer's Bible (engineersbible.com)

And, I've heard people say just always add 1/16" to nearly every size bolt hole. 

Given SendCutSend and everyone else seems to have a tolerance of +/- .005", I'm struggling to understand what kind of fit I should go for.  I'd hate to have a motor plate whose 4 support holes were just far enough off to not be able to mount the motor... :-O

Hoping there are a few folks who've been through this before!

:-)
Steve

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31833) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment