Sunday, May 12, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Converting V40 to serial Hybrid help :)

 

Just a point.  some 12v lifepo4 batteries can not be hooked up in series. The manufacturer referenced often on this list you can hook up that way but they do have a price (you need to check).

most 12v batteries already have a built in bms. This fact is what keeps them from connecting in series. You could do as I did when I built my energy wall. My 24v S7 configuration are paralleled for desired capacity. I limited parallel to 30a discharge per battery and stacked in parallel for full amp capacity. my system is li-ion using high continuous discharge 18650 cells. Life is short on these cells (400-600 cycles )and lifepo4 is considered safer and have longer lifecycle but mine is only an experiment as I am on the fence with lithium. An S14 (serial 14 ) makes 48v this is likely best for a traction battery.

You can get all the stuff you need to build a power wall from Ali-Express and save. Buy the book on "DIY lithium batteries" This guy knows his stuff. Reason you may want to build your own are:
1.  you can fit it where you have space because you make them to fit your form.
2.  You can save money.
3.  You can cool and heat them based on your needs not a standard case that meets how a battery should look.

Water is an issue with lithium mostly because shorting a cell can be explosive. They act much like a capacitor. 
The difference is once they go into thermal runaway you can't put the flame out until no power is left. Most of the time the whole bank will go up in flame. The wall I built was built as follows.
After welding, the ends of the cells were dipped in 100% silicon roof paint( to guard against shorting).
The banks were placed in metal cans and flooded with mineral oil. The can tops were then sealed.
The openings for wires also accommodate tubes that are used to transfer oil to cool or heat it as needed.

The temperature is critical with lithium, no matter what composition they are. charging below 32 deg F. can destroy the cell in a couple of charges. To hot and melt down is for sure. Cars using Lithium use environmental controls to keep temperature of the bank under control. I pump mineral oil in mine for this reason. Traction batteries get warmer unless you have a big bank.

USDOT regulates banks built. each time the system changes the manufacture must test and have approved anything that will be moved in the air. Concern may be raised by insurance companies about lithium not installed by qualified installers. My system is installed in a very inexpensive trailer and the loss I can eat, I don't worry about insurance on the rigg. Even still I am very mindful of heat and the install, you should be too. This year a rigg where I stay burned to the ground because the owner was charging his lithium batteries, likely without proper controller.

Kevin 

On Sun, May 12, 2019 at 10:08 AM Phil Boyer philaboyer@yahoo.ca [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I have bought solar panels from China in the past (sunsunsolar.com) and have had good success dealing with the vendor and they were custom made for me at a good price. I used Alibaba to find this vendor as well as search for batteries. I would caution to use a BMS battery management system if you are going to series the batteries.
Another caution when dealing with China is you can get good suppliers but also bad suppliers and you can't return things. (I had a bad experience in ordering an electric motor).  

Regards
Phil

On Saturday, May 11, 2019, 8:30:10 p.m. EDT, Abdullah Dimion abdullahdimion@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

Hi Guys and Gals, tried to send a message earlier, I think I messed it up if this is a duplicate sorry please ignore.

So my theoretical set up would be;
20 kw electric drive (guessing it's around 1,500 cad)
1,200 AH 12v Bank Lifepo4 (guessing $12k cad)
7000 watt generator ($1,000 cad adapt a portable)
700 watt solar power ($3,000 cad?)
Misc stuff $2,000 cad?
Wind Gen? Regen on the electric drive? ($??)

My Valiant 40 has a westerbeke 40 in it right now I'll be ripping out and selling for whatever I can get. I had looked at a parallel system from BetaMarine and it was 25k, opposed to roughly 12k for a new straight diesel. For 25k.. the parallel system just wasn't worth it, so I have been looking at serial systems and it seems like for 15-16k Cad I could get set up decently.

I am intending on begining to cruise in 2024, while doing extensive refits up to that point. I am just wondering with this system could I push with the electric drive for say 20 ish hrs at 3-4 knots/hr, running the genny the second it starts drawing battery power down and assuming we would have 6hrs of good sun? Or do I need a better genny/solar or bank?

Also thinking, instead of a house bank and a drive bank run everything off of one bank and use inverters as needed? So would I be better off dropping more $$ on batteries and doing a 1200 ah 24v bank and getting a 24v drive? Also the chinese lithium batteries I see as being 20-30% cheaper then american batteries so instead of getting 12 100 ah lifepo4 batteries from a north American supplies could I get an 1600 ah bank for the same price using chinese? Are they any good? Or could i get a 3k ah bank for 12k?!?!? Pricing this stuff is confusing as all heck lol

Any rate any help guys?
Abd

P.s if a cost competitive parallel system exists, im interested just cant find any. My bottom line is trying to make my cruising as cheap as possible.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Kevin Pemberton <pembertonkevin@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment