Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Sailboat Props - Data Please

 

Hi Tom Yes my project is still to be launched. I started with a 17ft half cabin displacement launch powered by a 10hp Bukh. I gutted it back to the bare hull and fitted a battery box in the keel for the LiFePO4 240AH battery pack . It is a complete refit basically. My target hull speed is 5.2 knots. Interestingly when I used the Vic Prop calculator it specified a three blade 15.8 x 12.5 prop compared to the 13.5 x 12.9 original prop . My marine engineer who scanned the prop made the comment that nine times out of ten when people order props using supplier calculators they ended up with the wrong pitch or number of blades to suit their needs. A 15.8 x 12.5 prop is to big in diameter to fit my hull. The smaller diameter prop has more pitch and hopefully I can get the prop shaft rpm optimized to get the best efficiency to achieve close to hull speed. I have a magnetelectric sensor fitted to the motor face plate at the large 72 toothed gear to register prop shaft RPM via a digital tachometer at the helm.. The Sevcon clearview display has motor RPM on it. My intention during the trails is to record boat  speed, motor RPM, prop shaft RPM and amps. It will be interesting to see how the boat performs on my set up as fitted. All my electrical and mechanical components have been bench tested OK and ready to fit apart from the charger and BMS. I cannot get the charger talking to the BMS via CanBus. This may be the subject of a new post for assistance with CanBus! 

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 1:24 AM David Freeman wildernessdave@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

I have not converted to electric yet, but I can comment on the outboard. We had a E27 and the atomic was in bad shape so we added an outboard.. We had a honda 9.9 long shaft with a standard prop and we could do over 6 knots in calm conditions and could punch into a pretty good chop, but with big seas you have to watch out for cavitation.

The outboard/electric option sounds like an interesting combo that would provide flexibility.

Good luck!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone



--
Kind regards Mick 0414 264 312

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Ryan <mryanqld@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (12)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment