Sunday, February 24, 2019

[Electric Boats] Help with feasibility check

 

Hi all. I've got an Ericson 27 with a old 5HP Honda outboard and a dead, likely destroyed Atomic 4 (has been seized forever). The outboard is very reliable but underpowered into a headwind/chop, and too hard a pull for my wife to start. Boat is on the heavy side, 6600#. I've always been interested in converting it to electric, but never gotten too serious because I thought I was going to sell it soon. Well, that's changed and I'll be keeping it at least another 2 years.

The boat's mission: Mostly day sailing, but I want to take it far up the Sacramento River Delta 2-3 times a year. I would also love to have the electric for slow, silent night trips on the bay with no wind, or quiet trolling (fishing). I think the cost of a gas generator on top of the electric system, is just more than I would go for. So I think it's either going to be a new outboard, or an electric system with the old 5HP as the poor man's hybrid to go on longer motoring trips. So it kind of comes down to a cost comparison of those two options.

Looking at the cheapest electric kit prices, I'm seeing $2100 for one with a 5kw motor and adding their reduction drive and throttle. Haven't priced batteries but I'm thinking 48v of AGM might run around $1600. I'm willing to go with FLA golf cart batteries tho, and feel sure I will always keep up with keeping them watered. So maybe $3000-$4000 all up before a haul-out and prop/shaft work. I've got an old 40A charger that's probably pretty "dumb", and a 15A charger that's probably reasonably "smart." (It's 3 stage anyway)

Going the new outboard route, I've been quoted $2000 for a long shaft, standard thrust 8 HP Yamaha. And I'd need to upgrade the engine mounting bracket for the heavier engine. Anyone know if that standard thrust is going to cut it with the heavy, slow boat? I'm afraid I might only get 5 HP out of it if it's too bogged down.

I know that outboard is really going to sip gas, so I have to be honest and admit that fuel savings will never make up for the additional cost of the electric. And the newer outboards are a lot quieter so there's that. And the outboard prop disappears while sailing because I simply pull it out of the water.

On the positive side for the electric, I'll just say I think I'm pretty aware of all their awesomeness. So I'm willing to spend a little more for electric (and do the work myself).

The big question is, how much more is the electric really going to cost, and is that 8HP outboard with standard thrust actually going to cut it? Can I get things cheaper by going DIY non-kit? Would I regret going without a reduction drive, or going down to 36v and one fewer battery? 5kw is probably too small, but I'd keep the 5HP outboard for a little extra boost.

Mike

__._,_.___

Posted by: Mike Ransom <likeabikemike@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment