Thursday, March 31, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Storage of LiFe PO4 Battery for 6 Months

Hi,

If they are j lifepi4 cell. They are best left at a 50 to 60% state of charge. They do not need to be fully charged although they will be OK if that left that way. That's the reason they don't usually come fully charged because they store better at a partial state of charge.

Mike Rll


Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Thursday, March 31, 2022, 8:01 AM, Ric Sanders <rsandersemail@gmail.com> wrote:

Lucas, 
Thank you for the link to Peter. Great information.
Ric Sanders.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022, 4:31 PM Lucas Rockwell <lr@lucasrockwell.com> wrote:
I think the best advice is to ask the manufacturer, as they know best.

Failing the above, I would recommend leaving them all disconnected, and not on a charger (LiFePO4 batteries do not lose charge, and if they do, it is not permanent).

The one thing I will suggest with LiFePO4, regardless of whether or not they are being left for a long period of time: if they are not in their final configuration, completely cover (for instance, with electrical tape) the terminals on each battery. This is especially important for LiFePO4 batteries without an internal BMS. I learned this from the following, even though I have BattleBorn batteries with an internal BMS (better safe than sorry):

https://shop.pkys.com/smart-lithium-system-installation

-lucas

On Mar 30, 2022, at 4:11 PM, Draggett@live.com wrote:



I have recently purchased a bank of 8 LiFePO4 12v 100ah batteries for my sailboat. However progress on the refit is taking longer than I anticipated. I will be heading back to Canada from Florida shortly and would like to give the batteries the best chance at a long life. I'll be returning in 6 months and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to store thhe batteries to ensure longevity. They will be fully charged before I leave and will be kept in an air conditioned space at 78F for a Florida summer.

Should I leave them disconnected for the six months?
Should I connect them together in parallel and leave them.
Should I connect them in parallel and leave them on a 12v trickle charger?
Should I connect them into the configuration in which I'll be using them (48v) and leave them?
Should I connect them as above and leave them on a 48v charger?
Other storage strategy.

Any advice deeply appreciated.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment