Thursday, March 31, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Storage of LiFe PO4 Battery for 6 Months

Lucas, 
Thank you for the link to Peter. Great information.
Ric Sanders.

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022, 4:31 PM Lucas Rockwell <lr@lucasrockwell.com> wrote:
I think the best advice is to ask the manufacturer, as they know best.

Failing the above, I would recommend leaving them all disconnected, and not on a charger (LiFePO4 batteries do not lose charge, and if they do, it is not permanent).

The one thing I will suggest with LiFePO4, regardless of whether or not they are being left for a long period of time: if they are not in their final configuration, completely cover (for instance, with electrical tape) the terminals on each battery. This is especially important for LiFePO4 batteries without an internal BMS. I learned this from the following, even though I have BattleBorn batteries with an internal BMS (better safe than sorry):

https://shop.pkys.com/smart-lithium-system-installation

-lucas

On Mar 30, 2022, at 4:11 PM, Draggett@live.com wrote:



I have recently purchased a bank of 8 LiFePO4 12v 100ah batteries for my sailboat. However progress on the refit is taking longer than I anticipated. I will be heading back to Canada from Florida shortly and would like to give the batteries the best chance at a long life. I'll be returning in 6 months and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how best to store thhe batteries to ensure longevity. They will be fully charged before I leave and will be kept in an air conditioned space at 78F for a Florida summer.

Should I leave them disconnected for the six months?
Should I connect them together in parallel and leave them.
Should I connect them in parallel and leave them on a 12v trickle charger?
Should I connect them into the configuration in which I'll be using them (48v) and leave them?
Should I connect them as above and leave them on a 48v charger?
Other storage strategy.

Any advice deeply appreciated.


 

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31876) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment