Saturday, September 7, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Greetings! Catalina 30 owner here, considering an electric repower

 

I think your plan is sound. The solar charging will work, it is just a matter of time. If you use 5kw hours of battery, and you have 200 watts of panels that put back in 1kw a day, it would take 5 days to charge it back up. So if that fits your sailing style it should be fine. Worst case scenario is you buy a Honda generator later on, and a battery charger, if you need a longer run time.

On Sat, Sep 7, 2019, 2:06 AM gotz2sail@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi,

I have a 5kw/48v (bit undersized but it came with the boat), 240ah flooded bank and a tripp-lite 15a charger, no solar. I charge off of shore power. I was concerned about running out of juice for whatever reason. I did the math and bought a mid-size portable generator that had an RV connection.

Sure enough when I brought the boar from SF Bay to the delta I had no wind, figures with my luck lol. Clamped bank lead and I was motoring at 15a-ish. Generator did the trick! Fired it up and plugged into shore power connection. Charger output at 15a. I watched amp out of bank drop to 0-ish.

In short I was able to motor sail without discharging the bank kind of. End result was motor sail for 8hrs at 15a. Lost 2ah out of bank. That was from goosing it now and then plus slight difference between clamp and charger I guess?

Next step is to can the old charger and step up to a 25a charger.

-john

__._,_.___

Posted by: Kev <captainyoung@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment