Saturday, September 7, 2019

[Electric Boats] Hunter 34 Sailboat Conversion

 

I have to make a decision soon about replacing my Westerbeke 21hp diesel. I certainly will NOT put a Westerbeke back in, so it comes down to another similar size diesel, electric, or maybe even gas (which is doable and WAY cheaper than diesel). I have read most of the topics here and on the Cruiser Forum about electric conversions. I was wondering if anyone could offer some specific thoughts on my boat regarding an electric conversion. One advantage of the Hunter is that it is a very good light air boat, particularly with the tall mast which I have.

Hunter 34 specs

34' overall
28' waterline
11.5 beam
11,820 displacement
Currently has a 14", 3 blade Campbell Sailor prop
Have a 3650 watt generator
2 160 watt 12vdc solar panels in parallel
4 100 amp 12vdc battery house bank

I was looking at a Thunderstruck 10kw motor with a 2:1 gear reduction. 200 amp 48vdc battery bank. 30 amp 48vdc battery charger. Install 2 more solar panels (I use the solar panels as my bimini so have the room to mount them) and wire in series for 48vdc.

Looking at what others have described as their performance characteristics it seems I could motor 2 to 3 hours at 4 kts (with the diesel I usually cruise at 5 kts)  and use 50% of the battery bank if starting fully charged. I figure with he solar panels and the generator running I could double that time if needed.

Replace diesel with a rebuilt, about $6k if I do most of the work. New diesel would be $9-10k
Gas, about $3k if I do the work
Electric, about $5k if I do the work

Any thoughts, comments from anyone?


__._,_.___

Posted by: jheape@gmail.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment