Friday, February 16, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Shaft Slip Joint Idea

 



--
Jason Taylor
v:514-815-8204dont knownif it's applicable to your situation, but when I went to a stainless shaft, I had to put on an anode. My old setup was bronze shaft with bronze prop and bronze cutless bearing, and directly coupled to yanmar engine — zero corrosion in 35 years, without a sacrificial anode. The new setup is as above but with a stainless shaft and a rubber shaft-saver between the transmission and the shaft. So the shaft/prop is isolated. And dissimilar metals in an electrolyte will make a battery. And it's the bronze that will serve as the anode, unless something else (zinc in saltwater or magnesium in fresh) is connected to the shaft. I replace it every year and a good deal of it is eaten away at haul out. After 4 seasons, the bronze prop is still perfect. 



On Feb 15, 2018, at 17:21, king_of_neworleans <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Well, I finished the new motor and thrust bearing mount. Preliminary rough alignment gives me about the same performance figures as the old setup with the 2:1 gearbox. I say about, because I ran the motor with the boat tied down to the dock. Too windy for a good test run... the data would be all over the place, and previous testing was done in calm conditions so it would be apples and oranges. RPM/watt slightly lower, of course, tied down, but it looks about right. I was hoping to see the kind of improvement I saw before, with the rough and ready thrust bearing assembly bolted to the motor, but no cigar. Next week I will be replacing the beat up bent up old bronze shaft with a nice new SS one and replacing the cutless bearing, also switching from the 14x10 prop to its twin which I cut down t o 13x10. The spline shaft coupling works a treat. It is instantly apparent when the system is out of alignment, when the sleeve does not slide smoothly fore and aft on the splined shaft ends.

Only thing is, the motor's internal fan is optimized for turning CCW, but with a right hand wheel and direct drive it is turning CW in FWD. I have been running it all day at 500w and the motor is barely warm to the touch, so maybe that's not a deal breaker. I will probably get me one of those bidirectional fans that Motenergy makes for their motors, just the same.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Jason (Electric Boats) Taylor" <jt.yahoo@jtaylor.ca>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment