Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Direct Drive QS Hub Motors

 

Hi Eric
Yes I have seen the blog on Matthews electric Nordic 17 but to tell the truth I am still getting my head around electrical terminology. Matthews boat uses a Perm 132 and direct drive. My boat may have slightly less displacement than Matthews, but they are identical hulls.. The 5kW drive you are using in your Bermuda is that a Thunderstruck kit and if so what is the motor model. Does it power your boat adequately? My prop and shaft is currently at the Marine Engineers. They are scanning and polishing the propeller, straightening the shaft, fitting a new cutless bearing and shaft seal. I haven't got the propeller data back yet but verbally they have advised that the propeller is good quality and perfect for the boat. I provided the ME1305 motor data I had which was very little and verbally I was advised to go to at least 8Kw.  No big deal I could always go up to the 10kW kit but I suspect the 5kW kit would be fine as advised by the King. When I get the prop data back it will be easier to make an informed decision if the 5kW motor is OK.

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 9:57 AM, ewdysar@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hey Mick,


When I looked up a Nordic 17 to get a little more info about your boat, I found this website about a Nordic 17 electric conversion.  http://www.sleeper.apana.org..au/boat/  

This Nordic 17 conversion is running at 36V, so I adjusted his performance statistics for 48V and converted his speed readings to knots (because these are boats after all) 

So it looks like he got 3.3kts @ 375W (or 7.5A @ 48V), 4kts @ 750W (15A @ 48V) and 5kts @ 1875W (37.5A @ 48V).  So now we've got some observed performance data that we can use for battery performance calculations (going with the assumption that this data is correct and your boat will perform similarly).

Like all known battery LiFePO4 batteries are affected by Peukert's Effect, albeit to a small amount.  Luckily, it is not difficult to accurately predict virtually any battery's performance using the rated capacity and an accurate Peukert's Exponent for the battery type.  I have been using a Peukert's Exponent of 1.03 for the 8kWh LiFePO4 battery bank that I have been running with since 2010.  Real world observations have confirmed this PE value to be correct and that my batteries are still operating above the rated capacity.

We have all heard that lithium batteries can be safely discharged to lower states of charge than L/A batteries, the common assumption is for an 80% depth of discharge is OK for LiFePO4.  With your 48V 200Ah battery, you've got about 8000Wh of usable storage.  I know that you asked for a 6 hour runtime, 4kts will give you about 10hrs of capacity (40nm) and 5kts will give you about 4 hours of runtime (20nm) .  Your 6hr discharge rate is 26A which may be about 4.6kts (27.5nm) (I'm taking an educated guess on the "watts to knots" conversion for 26A, based on the other performance data given here.)

Once you get your project up and running, please take some time to measure your actual performance.  First of all, it gives you excellent baseline data that you can use to judge the efficacy of future improvements and to see if your boat is gradually developing any performance issues.  I spend a couple of hours once every season to check my boat's performance to make sure that everything is still meeting my original observations.

Your conversion seems like a fun project.  

Fair winds and calms seas,
Eric
1964 Bermuda 30, 5kW drive, 8kWh lithium battery bank
Marina del Rey, CA



 


 




--
Kind regards Mick 0414 264 312

__._,_.___

Posted by: Michael Ryan <mryanqld@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment