Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Noob here

 

Greetings Patrick,
 
Not to worry my 25 foot Albin was a fun project.   I removed my 3 cylinder 27 hp and replaced it with a 48 vdc golf cart motor.
The coupling was via 2:1 gear ratio lug belt.  Small pulley on the motor – Large pulley on the prop shaft. – Power came from 8 6 volt
AGM Batteries. Controller was PWM  device with a solid state throttle.   I changed nothing as far as prop – shaft speed was kept at 2300 rpm
The  hull speed is 6 knots and range is 8 hours. Recharge time was approx. 16 hours at 15 amps.
 
Lets talk
Bernie   
 
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:52 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Noob here
 
 

Hi All,


First off - I am no electrical engineer. Not by a long shot. But I have a 1976 25' Hunter sailboat that had a 12hp diesel inboard motor. I am in the process of removing said motor with the hopes of installing an electric in it's place.


From what I understand, I'll need to pull out all the motor (obviously) and I'm pretty certain I will remove the transmission as well. And this is where my guesswork begins.


I imagine the new motor goes inline onto the same foot as the diesel. Then I need a gear reduction box in there. And that connects to the drive shaft? Is that a simple Lovejoy connector?


And on the other end, I need a throttle of some sort, a battery monitor and batteries?


Am I crazy to think I can't install a motor that will pull off two 12v deep cycle batteries in series and get enough Oomph to get me in and out of the marina with a bit left over to power me around a bit when the wind flat out dies? And that a solar trickle charger can feed my battery system back up on weekdays? (I'm a weekend boater)


What is the glaring piece of equipment/hardware ($) that I am totally overlooking? Aside from wires, connectors and whatnot.


I would love if this whole conversion cost me less than 2k. And yes, I am totally green on how all this works but I BELIEVE I can do this myself. I will take any abuse about my ignorance with aplomb.


Patrick

(p.s. Can we create a unit of measurement called the Oomph? So we can bridge that chasm between hp, amps, thrust and whatnot?)


 

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Bernie Wilcox" <wilcoxb@bellaliant.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment