Monday, April 13, 2015

[Electric Boats] Re: new member's project: EP mountain lake cruiser on $2000 budget

 

Maiden voyage of my 

People
To
  • Bill and Ai Qiu hopen
EPmountain lake cruiser and a question about solar charging system



My home-shop-built electric drive does great! It hangs on the tiller hinge flanges...I call it a power tiller.  it will troll us along very gently and quietly @ 100 watts.  and @ 350 watts I can go about as fast as I can possibly paddle my canoe.    @ 800-1000 watts it seems to go about as fast as I can jog, say 5-6mph.   I ran the boat up at 1600 watts or so but it felt inefficient coming up against the natural "hull speed" of the craft,    I'm convinced I could run well over 2000 watts through this great industrial motor with the upped voltage, it is not straining or heating, or over-reving...but trying to go past 6mph seems to be a waste of energy because I'm creating a wave that I can't climb over and plane like a motor boat.



I took an industrial 36 volt motor rated at 1000 watts and ran it on 50 volts DC....(4 wheelchair batteries) through a very efficient PWM Pulse Wave Motor Control.  with a forward/reverse switch just before motor.  The higher voltage brings down the amps and thus less over heating as long as I control it via pwm from exerting too much. 

We went several miles last night and the batteries went from 51 volts down to 47.5 volts.  I am very satisfied.   Motor controls and digital gauges are so cheap!
e-bay/china: 3000 watt pwm controller $15!   and a combo digital Watt, Volt, Amp meter  $18 reads out to me exactly what electric power I'm expending....a great product built in China from Missouri solar wind co    My boat and trailer cost $280.,  the motor/prop/drive transmission/shafts/ bearings, and controller/reversing switch/gauges cost $300.  the batteries $320.  $35 to register for 3 years.  so I'm in there for under $1000. so far.

Now for the solar charger, I HAVE A QUESTION:  I have a "48 volt battery" made up of 4 - 12 volt batteries  wired together in series running to my 48 volt motor power system....how do I charge that?.... do I have to get 48volt solar panels and a 48 volt charge controller?  or do I wire two 24 volt panels in series, or is there a way to charge the system with a regular 12 volt charger without unhooking the  batteries from the 48v series configuration?

As far as the ride...The kids loved it, they were climbing all over the boat, snuggling in the bunks, sticking their heads out of the port holes.   We will have many picnic fishing parties on this boat, probably sleep over night and fish early dawn etc....so much better than what we could do in our fleet canoes and kayaks.

Thanks for all the help guys, I haven't blown up anything yet with my limited electrical knowledge.
 

People
To
  • Bill and Ai Qiu hopen

__._,_.___

Posted by: billhopen@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)

Check out the automatic photo album with 1 photo(s) from this topic.
Cana wine steward for web.jpg


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment