Sunday, August 20, 2023

Re: [electricboats] Pearson P27 Diesel Pulled

I also went electric for my 10M with parts from Thunderstruck.  I fabricated my own motor mounting and reduction drive.  See all sorts of details here:
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_drive.htm

It is equal to or better in performance to my diesel in every way except range.  Not a concern for my current day-sailing use. 

I would consider the Thunderstruck 10kW kit to re-power a P27.   They do not have a kit between 5 and 10.  I think the 5kW kit is marginal power for you and the 10kW will have more than enough reserve power for basically no penalty in efficiency.  The 10KW putting out 2kW to cruise won't use any more than the 5kW putting out 2kW to cruise and will run cooler and well within it's capacity.  Trying to punch through a choppy entrance will have the 5kW at max and the 10 happily running at 50% with no concerns about excess heat. 

The battery is going to be the most expensive part of the conversion.  I went with a lithium (LiFePo4) that I assembled from prismatic cells for several reasons all described on the page above.  Chief among them cost per AH of usable capacity of about 1/4 that of drop-in cells.

Dan Pfeiffer


On 2023-08-20 8:20 pm, Circe Strauss wrote:

Check out thunderstruct_ev.com. I got my motor and controller from them and I'm pretty happy with it.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2023, 7:50 PM <duncan@troycable.net> wrote:
Hello, 

New to this group. I just purchased a Pearson P27 1989 model last spring.  The engine is shot.  I pulled it out and had a mechanic take it apart.  He said it is a goner. Since I only have a prop shaft in the sailboat now.  I am thinking of taking this opportunity to do an electric conversion.  Where is the best place to get an 8kw motor with controller?  Also, I need a mount and prop shaft coupling fabricated to make the motor fit the old diesel mounts and prop shaft.  

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment