Monday, June 27, 2022

Re: [electricboats] Server Rack Batteries

Bob,
   Here in St Thomas I have a friend with the epropulsion 3.0. He likes it but had to change main bearing after about a years use. Lots of Torqueedos here as well with corrosion and water intrusion problems. I still might go with epropulsion though.
    The 5 kwh server racks weigh about 100 lbs. I know it's heavier than self made but after building and running a 14 kwh lifepo4 bank for 3 years, I'm hoping the server rack is more plug and play.
     The rack I'm looking at is supposed to be able to able to handle 110 amps continuous so the Elco should work. Of course at full throttle you have at most 45 minutes running time but I shouldn't have to run it that hard. The boat I'm building will plane at 14 knots on a 5 hp gas engine.
Jerry



On June 26, 2022, at 10:44 PM, bobkart <couch45@msn.com> wrote:


I can't address server rack batteries from direct experience.  While I suspect they will work from a water-resistant standpoint, a 48V 5kWh model will likely only support 100A continuous discharge, and that will just barely work with the Elco 9.9.  Have you looked at the ePropulsion Navy 3.0 Evo?  I have the 6.0 model on my five-meter power cat, and it works well.  The 3.0 will only need ~62A from your battery, easily handled by a 100Ah LFP battery.  And 100Ah is a common and cost-effective LFP size (in 12V nominal configuration), so four of those in series can be easily assembled into a 48V pack, which is then manageable weight-wise, due to the easy decomposition of the pack into ~30-pound pieces.

When I look at server rack batteries, the one spec that usually jumps out at me is weight.  Due to the steel-case packaging they typically use, their weight is markedly more than that of an equivalent-capacity battery assembled from modules.  Of course individual LFP cells can be used for an even more energy-dense result, as I show in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmk1_ynLdwI
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32005) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment