Thursday, June 3, 2021

[electricboats] Motor Mounting and Reduction Gear - Progress

I am getting close to installing my electric motor and reduction drive. Yesterday I got the motor mounted to the reduction gear and did a bench test. My design has a large double roller angular contact bearing for thrust and a smaller flange mount bearing for a pilot on the front of the shaft. My runout at the end of the output shaft (where coupler mounts) is about .001".  Without the pilot bearing it was .005".

I posted some short videos here of my bench testing.
http://dan.pfeiffer.net/10m/electric_motor_video.htm

Some details:
Boat - Pearson 10M
Disp - 13,000
Hull Speed - 7.1
Electric Drive Setup - ME1616 (12kW), Sevcon 4, LiFePo4 48V 280AH
3:1 reduction, 18" feathering prop w/variable pitch

The thrust bearing is a 5207 double roller angular contact ball bearing that is the same type but several sizes larger than the thrust bearing in my old Walter V-Drive that was in service with my 23hp Volvo for 43 years. I fabricated an aluminum housing for it. After considering the size and weight of the output pulley I decided to add the front cover with with the pilot bearing made from a basic flange mounted bearing (UCF205-16) that is self aligning.  I need to remove the front cover to change the belt which is not ideal. But I thought the better support for the output shaft was a worthwhile tradeoff. 

I hope to be on the water in a couple weeks. I still have to install the electrical components, assemble the main battery, install the cooling system and launch the boat.


Dan Pfeiffer

No comments:

Post a Comment