Sunday, December 13, 2015

[Electric Boats] Re: Arrival of Motor and Controller

 

Hannu,
Thank you for the additional info. Lots to digest. That's good!
With respect to 80 VDC cutoff in EU, I think there's a similar cutoff in US at 50 VDC, dictated by the ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council).
Regarding props, I was reluctant to consider a large prop as part of the conversion to electric but lately I'm having second thoughts. My view was that a large prop would destroy the "pure sailing" experience. But now I'm coming around to Electroprop's idea of applying just enough energy to spin the prop at the speed of the water column (~80 watts perhaps). This will give me a zero-drag prop. My beercan racing competitors will squawk, but so what - most of them have folding props. Maybe I'll limit the amount of energy to whatever the solar array is producing. On windless days there could be Solar racing.
Electroprop includes a large prop with most of their kits. I passed on that for now and am going to see how things go initially with my somewhat large, fixed, 2-blade prop. I need to haul the boat for a bottom job in a few months and will then decide whether to go with a bigger prop and maybe change the planetary gear reduction from 3:1 to 5:1.
Lots of fun. Should be going live in a few weeks.
--Bob Moriarty

__._,_.___

Posted by: moriartybob@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

Check out the automatic photo album with 7 photo(s) from this topic.
IMG_0128.JPG IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0129.JPG IMG_0132.JPG IMG_0055.JPG


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment