Wednesday, April 27, 2011

[Electric Boats] Top speed with Torqeedo 801 travel

 

I got a good deal on a Torqeedo 801 Travel (hooks up to external 24v battery bank), with the intent to use it on a new 'fast' boat I'm building. The boat will be a light 24' x 2.5', and by Freeship resistance calculations should be capable of 8 to 10 mph with a motor that can put out 62 lbs of thrust, which the 800watt 801 can do.

What I realized after purchase was that the standard Torqeedo 10" pitch prop likely won't be able to drive the boat at those speeds, what with the motor's 720 rpm max.

Anyone have any experience running the 801 on a slippery fast boat that should be capable of speeds in this range? Is the Torqeedo prop/rpm limited at high speeds? Or will it exceed 720rpm in a lightly loaded situation?

I would have preferred the new Torqeedo 1003, but they don't have an external cable adapter available for them yet, and the standard model with integral battery (which I don't need) is $2k :(. The 1003 has a max rpm of 1200, which if used with the three blade prop of the 801 I would think stands a good chance of getting the boat to the speeds I'm shooting for.

I guess I'll see how the boat does with the 801, and wait for the 1003 Travel to come out and then upgrade. My brother will probably want the 801 as auxiliary for his Rhodes 19 anyway :).

Neil S.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment