Wednesday, April 27, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Top speed with Torqeedo 801 travel

 

I looked on the Torqeedo website and the sites of a few vendors. It appears that Torqeedo now prefers to spec their propellors in speed and power. I believe that the original propellor for the 801 is considered a "V8/P350" or speed=8kph and power=350. There is also a V9/P790 that is stated to fit the 801, but the speed increase is only 1kph. For anyone interested 5kts=9.2kph, so it seems that my 801 may have the V9 prop. There is also a V19 prop for the larger cruise models, I don't know if they are compatible with the smaller motors. Lastly, the Cruise 4.0 has V30 props available for twin motor installations.

Fair winds,
Eric
Marina del Rey, CA

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Wolfe <dwolfe@...> wrote:
>
> Check with Torqeedo, I believe they offer a "Speed" prop with greater pitch.
>
> On 4/27/2011 1:20 PM, Eric wrote:
> >
> > Neil,
> >
> > I was working with a local guy that has been experimenting with
> > alternative propulsion like electric, pedal prop and pedal fins. On a
> > long, thin boat with an empty weight of about 50 pounds, the max speed
> > with my Torqeedo Travel 801 was about 5kts. The boat was designed for
> > a center drive, but the Torqeedo lower unit would not fit through the
> > well. The weight of the 801 did throw the trim of the boat off, so
> > there might have been the opportunity for another small increase, but
> > I believe that you are correct that your speed will be limited by the
> > rpm of the motor/prop.
> >
> > Fair winds,
> > Eric
> > Marina del Rey, CA
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> > <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>, "F Neil Simms"
> > <f.neil.simms@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I got a good deal on a Torqeedo 801 Travel (hooks up to external 24v
> > battery bank), with the intent to use it on a new 'fast' boat I'm
> > building. The boat will be a light 24' x 2.5', and by Freeship
> > resistance calculations should be capable of 8 to 10 mph with a motor
> > that can put out 62 lbs of thrust, which the 800watt 801 can do.
> > >
> > > What I realized after purchase was that the standard Torqeedo 10"
> > pitch prop likely won't be able to drive the boat at those speeds,
> > what with the motor's 720 rpm max.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any experience running the 801 on a slippery fast boat
> > that should be capable of speeds in this range? Is the Torqeedo
> > prop/rpm limited at high speeds? Or will it exceed 720rpm in a lightly
> > loaded situation?
> > >
> > > I would have preferred the new Torqeedo 1003, but they don't have an
> > external cable adapter available for them yet, and the standard model
> > with integral battery (which I don't need) is $2k :(. The 1003 has a
> > max rpm of 1200, which if used with the three blade prop of the 801 I
> > would think stands a good chance of getting the boat to the speeds I'm
> > shooting for.
> > >
> > > I guess I'll see how the boat does with the 801, and wait for the
> > 1003 Travel to come out and then upgrade. My brother will probably
> > want the 801 as auxiliary for his Rhodes 19 anyway :).
> > >
> > > Neil S.
> > >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment