Monday, July 25, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] AC vs DC motors

 

Hi David,

You could save a little on your electronics by going hybrid.
Engine sizing is largely based on overcoming that it produces little power at low RPM. With the assist of the electric motor this problem is greatly reduced.

This must be quite some ship! I am thinking about a cargo trailer I have that is 16 foot long. All but 30 inches of its 16 foot is solar panels the thing is 7 foot wide. The panels produce 1150 watts at noon if under cloudless sky. With a beam of let's say 14 foot that makes over 420 foot. Of course it would have a much wider beam than that.

Anyhow I wish I had your bank account. Good luck on your project.

Kevin

On Jul 23, 2016 10:00 PM, "David Adams lonzim.adams@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Thanks for the response. I plan to power it with about 70kW of solar pv in conjunction with a large diesel generator. The idea is to install this in to a cruising boat. Run the generator when large power required. Eg ocean crossings. But run mostly on solar when cruising in amongst islands / coastal cruising etc. It's a huge project and I'm a few years off getting started. So at the moment all I'm trying to do is educate myself. All comments most welcome and thanks again. Dave.


On 21 Jul 2016 17:35, "Hannu Venermo gcode.fi@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Em..
100 kW is extreme.
How to you plan to power them ?

A new VFD+3-phase is potentially == same efficiency as a AC brushless
servo, and internally they are similar.

In my experience, the ac brushless motors are more efficient, since
smaller motor deliver the same power and have lower noise and heat less.
But, thats at 2.5 kW, and upto 40 kW on VFD + 3-phase.

I don´t think efficiency numbers are commonly available in the bigger
ones- thus I don´t think there is a lot of data.
Peak efficiencies are about 92-93% for Tesla, who designed their own,
and have done 12 revisions of it in the last 10 years.

Thus, it is quite likely that all common cots stuff is quite a bit less
efficient.

The most efficient one I have seen with data was a recent post by a
member, with about 86% efficiency, on a setup I might think is typical,
but much smaller.
Peak efficiency was quoted as 92% for a given setup, in their range.

Thus, it seems You might get somewhere around 85-90%, most likely.

My VFD+phase motors vs AC brushless experiences - the AC brushless is
very much more efficient.
The AC is smaller, has more torque at low speed, reacts much faster,
generates less waste heat.

On 21/07/2016 11:11, David Adams lonzim.adams@gmail.com [electricboats]
wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I'm trying to learn the differences between powering a boat with AC vs
> DC Brushed vs DC Brushless motors.
> I'll need something in about the 100kW range.
>
> My initial thinking is to use AC as these motors are easily available
> but I have no idea of the differences in efficiency.
>
> Could someone point me to a resource where I can learn more about this
> please?
>
> Best regards
>
> Dave

--
-hanermo (cnc designs)

__._,_.___

Posted by: Kevin Pemberton <pembertonkevin@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (21)

Save time and get your email on the go with the Yahoo Mail app
Get the beautifully designed, lighting fast, and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail today. Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment