Thursday, April 26, 2018

Re: [Electric Boats] Quite the potential project.. but is it feasible?

 

Might I also suggest finding an old electric fork lift or two and raping the guts out of them. Might be easier to find than a Tesla. 15-20 kW total should get you 3-5 mph in CALM water and be enough power to maintain control up to a medium chop in a stiff wind. Some of those big electric fork lifts and industrial floor cleaners get up to about 10 hp I think and operate at 48VDC. 

I've essentially got a 7.5kW golf cart motor on steroids pushing a 50', 20 ton barge and I can make 5 knots in calm seas and head into a 35 mph wind with 2-4 ft seas at 1-2 mph to give you a benchmark. Believe me, it doesn't take a lot of energy to go SLOW . In a lake with calm water. I once pushed the Arc out of a lock and then another mile to a cove when my prop fell off using nothing more than my dinghy on the hip with a 50# thrust Minkota and a half charged marine battery. Into a VERY light head wind even.   

Capt. Carter
www.shipofimagination.com

On Thursday, April 26, 2018, 11:18:10 AM EDT, Hannu Venermo gcode.fi@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:




Not hard at all.
Buy a salvage tesla for the batteries, and the motor and controller as well if you have good electronics/it skills.
The famous online hackers who have done this would likely help / guide you.


On 23/03/2018 16:13, Rob rob@sail4life.net [electricboats] wrote:
 

I've learned a lot by lurking, but I'm contemplating a project that is MUCH larger than anything I've seen addressed here, so I thought I'd ask for advice…

Thanks in advance !

Project: 100' and 100 +/- ton canal barge repowering

Current power (broken) diesel engine from 1957, originally rated 116 hp

I'd like to yank that beast and repower with an electric drive.

Velocity requirements are: normally 3-5 knots. Panic mode 10-12 knots.

Assume the end product looks like a battery bank, 1-2kw solar, an autostart genset (possibly a larger and smaller unit?). Autostart based on demand and/or battery voltage… but that's a pretty broad assumption and I'm certainly open to options...

Generally, plan to move <20 miles per day, or maybe as far as the sun will take us. Also, typically don't have to deal with any current (but occasionally, thus panic mode above)

I thought I'd ask about feasibility before I even looked at the costing ;-)

Thoughts and/or suggestions?

Thanks!
-Rob


--   -hanermo (cnc designs)  


__._,_.___

Posted by: Carter Quillen <twowheelinguy@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment