Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Folding prop efficiency

 

Hi John,
I had a 12x6 MaxProp on our electric demo boat for a spell. It worked fine. I took it off because of the pulsing action of a two-blade prop against the rudder. A three blade solved that issue.

True, the folding prop is not quite as efficient as a fixed prop, but the difference is not a show stopper. In addition, unloading the A4 when it can be demo'd in the boat makes for an easy sale. 

Be Well,
Arby Bernt
Advanced Marine Electric Propulsion


From: joaofelipepires <joaofelipepires@yahoo.ca>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 7:23 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Folding prop efficiency

 
Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker here for quite a while, trying to absorb some of the massive amount of collective knowledge that this group has.

I have been quite interesting in moving to an electric setup as I am a lake sailor of a 27 ft, early 80's vintage sailboat. It currently has an Atomic 4 that still runs ok, but consistently has problems that suck $$ here and there.

My biggest concern that has been holding me back from seriously considering the change is that the boat is raced a few times a week, so it has a 12 x 7 two-blade folding prop that I would like to keep. With that background, my question is will that prop be so inefficient for an electic application to make it impractical to make the change?

Thanks in advance,

John



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment