Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Regen (again)

 

Eric R,
 
I don't know that much about auto props but I can tell you the one on my boat is the goofiest thing I ever saw. It hardly even looks like a propeller. But basically the three strange looking blades are on bearings and rotate independently. The guy I bought the my boat from was pretty proud of it and said it was suppose to find the sweet spot for max thrust at whatever rpm you're doing. When it's not rotating it looks like it's broken. According to the website, www.autoprop.com, it is also suppose to feather for 85% less drag when making way under sail which I didn't know until I looked at the website a minute ago. Looking at mine I don't see how but that's what they say on the website.
 
I think what you are familiar with is a variable pitch prop which operates similarly only it actually looks like a standard prop and the operator has control over what pitch he wants to set it at. This is not the case with the autoprop, it sets it's pitch automatically on its own.
 
Like Capt. Mike said, Regen is when you use your spinning prop while sailing to generate electricity back to your batteries on a boat with electric propulsion. After looking at the website I guess an autoprop would NOT be very good for regen, which was a question someone asked a few days ago. Regen is also used the same way in electric vehicle for braking.
 
Carter

From: Eric Rieber <riverman84@gmail.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:16 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Regen (again)

I'm not familiar with these terms. I'm new here. What's regan mode"?

What is an auto prop?  When I lived in Norway, in the late sixties,
many boats had variable pitch propellers that were also used for
reverse. They were adjustable from the controls by the pilot. Any
connection?

Eric R.


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment