Friday, August 26, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: re New Ideas ?

 

Hi Eric,
I'll try to put together a quick, down and dirty, 2.1 volt unit and see if I can give some numbers that will show what is going in and out, as well as surface preparation of the lead.
The East Coast, might interrupt things depending on what happens.

Also I will try and post a picture or two of motors, batteries and inverters, that some, might find useful, especially in smaller boats.

Ron

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Ron,
>
> I decided to focus on what you've actually done. If your goal is cheaper storage of electricity, then you need metrics to know whether or not you're succeeding.
>
> Let's look at a Trojan T-105 (I know there are some cheaper batteries, but this is a good standard). 225Ah@6V = 1350Wh, 62 lbs, about $150. So they are 21.8Wh/lb and 9Wh/$1.
>
> So you need to measure your home-built battery. How many volts does it develop? How many amps can it produce for how long? That will give its capacity? What is the cost to buy the components and build it? Are you anywhere close to what is readily available?
>
> These are the first few questions that I would ask of myself if I was proposing a new idea. Even if I didn't have specific results, I would try to make reasoned guesses.
>
> Fair winds,
> Eric
> Marina del Rey, CA
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <rlgravel@> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks to one and all,
> > A lot of good comments, of which I agree with most, even made a positive spin out of the armchair comment :)....
> >
> > This is a major change of design, not technology. If it is not new thinking, then when and where has anyone tested it?, if it is not possible why ? My testing has been lead strips in a jar of acid, a small and quick charge, then an equally short motor run. The lead and acid have set for several years and have had no decay of either. I do tend to favor other less risky things to play with. :)
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment