Thursday, June 9, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] macgregor 26D solar electric

 

I used what I thought was a 46 pound thrust on a Venture 25.  Later, I found that it was only a MinnKota 27 pound thrust.

I was happy with it, since it would give me almost 3 knots, but when putting up the main sail, if I fell off the nose(wind), I would sometimes have to motor downwind for speed to get the nose back into the wind.

I always thought 55 pounds or so would've been the cat's meow.

On another note, one day back in 1999, I took my step-daughter and her friend for a ride ... forgot to keep the main sheet available(lost it), and went sailing on a southbound wind(about 8-10 knots.  I quickly found out that the Venture(MacGregor?), could make a broad run with the nose about 10 degrees into the wind, but on every tack, the piddly drop keel would still cause me to crab and lose any headway I thought I might make.

Back in those days I didn't take charging my ONE, old car battery and when I started out, it was near dead.  After about three hours of no headway, I resorted to the 27 lb thrust motor and headed into a 4-5 knot wind to get back to dock(3-4 miles away), After an hour of this the motor was going very slow, but it was getting dark and I turned on my running lights ... motor went SO SLOW, that I could actually count the revolutions ... but still, I was making headway ... very little, but it was headway.

After about 30 minutes, my motor stopped ... what to do?

I called my wife to meet us "somewhere", on the bank(I'd tell her once the boat completely stopped).

Then I turned off my running lights(it was about 10pm), since no one else was on the lake.  The blades began to again turn ... slowly, but fast enough to get me forward at about 1+ knots, and I actually made it back to the dock about 11:30pm.

The Venture is a light boat, and I wouldn't hesitate(on a lake), to go out in her with a 40+ pound thrust motor ... 55, even better.

I used this setup for about 2 years, and overall I was very satisfied.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Mark F mark.internet@yahoo.ca [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
<*>[Attachment(s) from Mark F included below]

I have a Macgregor 26D, it has a 5Hp 4 stroke on it right now.
I am considering an electric at 48 Volts.
Has anyone used electric on a Macgregor?
If so is, where is the best place to place batteries?
I attached 2 pictures of 10 watt panels I will probably add, initially to charge the 12v house battery.
Has anyone used a 40lb thrust minn kota on this boat?  I suspect it would be too small.
The boat weighs 1600 lbs and takes on 800lbs of watter ballast.

Thanks

<*>Attachment(s) from Mark F:

<*> 2 of 2 Photo(s) https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/electricboats/attachments/25708000;_ylc=X3oDMTJxc3NzOWRnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzUyMTQzODIEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1ODg0MDkwBHNlYwNhdHRhY2htZW50BHNsawN2aWV3T25XZWIEc3RpbWUDMTQ2NTUwMjE1OA--
  <*> sol1.jpg
  <*> sol2.jpg

------------------------------------
Posted by: Mark F <mark.internet@yahoo.ca>
------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/


__._,_.___

Posted by: "PISQUE1969 ." <surv69@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)

Check out the automatic photo album with 2 photo(s) from this topic.
sol1.jpg sol2.jpg

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment