Thursday, December 30, 2010

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric Kicker

 

Hi James,

I think tolling motor props are optimized for trolling - low speed high thrust. I put a Torqeedo prop on a MotorGuide 109 (36 volt/105 lb thrust). It accelerated better than the stock MotorGuide prop but was the opposite pitch. I don't know if Minn Kota is the same but the MotorGuide spun at higher RMP's in forward "gear". I ended up with a lower top end speed.

Mark
Santa Cruz

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, James Zagray <jzagray@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks Victor,
>
> Any idea which specific model plane prop it is and where it can be found?
>
> You have to wonder about this kind of thing. You would think that Minn Kota
> has put a lot of R & D behind their props, and I'm sure they will tell you
> that what they have supplied with the motor is the best trade-off between
> thrust and energy efficiency. If I find I need a bit more power, I'll look
> into changing the props.
>
> ~James
>
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 10:08 AM, vjmtymo <vjmtymo@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Apparently, some people have swapped out the trolling motor prop in favour
> > of a large model airplane prop to change the pitch and give a bit more push.
> > Just a thought.
> >
> > Victor
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com <electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > James Zagray <jzagray@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thank you Ned,
> > >
> > > Unfortunately I don't think these are going to work for me because they
> > are
> > > not waterproof. The best solution for my application looks like a plug
> > and
> > > receptacle. I'm leaning toward this one:
> > >
> > http://www.cabelas.com/auto-boat-battery-accessories-ranger-style-trolling-motor-plug-receptacle-3.shtml?type=product&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=699783&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=B203DE51-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA
> > > Since there are 2 wires for each motor and this is 4 prong, I should be
> > able
> > > to wire them both through one plug.
> > >
> > > ~James
> > >
> > > On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 6:32 AM, Ned Farinholt <nedfarinholt@>wrote:
> >
> > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > James,
> > > > Here is a source for the Anderson connectors.
> > > >
> > > >
> > http://www.solarseller.com/anderson_sb_quick_connect___disconnect_cable_connectors__accessories__stage_wiri.htm
> > > > Ned
> > > >
> > > > On Dec 29, 2010, at 10:33 PM, James Zagray wrote:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Thanks Eric!
> > > >
> > > > I spent about half the day today searching for connectors, but didn't
> > > > run accross Andersons. I'll look them up for sure. I'll have a
> > > > difficult time locating them someplace dry unless they are narrow
> > > > enough to fit through a small hole in the hull. I've been looking at
> > > > plugs and receptacles made specifically for trolling motors, so
> > > > they're water tight. I'll figure something out.
> > > >
> > > > I really appreciate the research you did on my motors. I was
> > > > wondering how many amps they draw. Technical support at Minn Kota
> > > > wasn't much help because the motors are'nt designed for what I am
> > > > doing with them. They wouldn't suggest any kind of connector.
> > > >
> > > > I'll be interested in my watts to knots too! I would be very happy
> > > > with 4 or 5 knots.
> > > >
> > > > Thanks again,
> > > > ~James
> > > >
> > > > On 12/29/10, Eric <ewdysar@ <ewdysar%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
> > > > > Hi James,
> > > > >
> > > > > I checked out the MinnKota website for specifics about your setup. It
> > > > looks
> > > > > like the dual motors have dual controllers and with the max amperage
> > > > listed
> > > > > as 116A @ 24V, I'll assume that each motor can draw almost 60A.
> > > > Therefore,
> > > > > you'll ant to make sure that each disconnect is rated for at least
> > that
> > > > much
> > > > > current. Anderson SB connectors are what almost all EV people use,
> > they
> > > > > come in 50A, 175A and 350A versions. Given your setup, I would go
> > with
> > > > the
> > > > > 175A ones for each motor, just to be on the safe side of things.
> > These
> > > > > connectors are not specifically waterproof, so you'll want to make
> > sure
> > > > that
> > > > > they are located in a relatively protected area. MinnKota says that
> > the
> > > > > motor leads are 12 feet long so locating the connectors should not be
> > a
> > > > > problem.
> > > > >
> > > > > I don't know the typical efficiency of a trolling motor and prop
> > setup
> > > > like
> > > > > you've got, however if it is close to what people are getting with
> > > > inboard
> > > > > installations you can expect about 4 knots from about 1000W (42A @
> > 24V).
> > > > > I'll be interested in your "watts to knots" numbers once you're up
> > and
> > > > > running to compare your observed performance to other existing
> > > > conversions.
> > > > >
> > > > > Fair winds,
> > > > > Eric
> > > > > Marina del Rey, CA
> > > > >
> > > > > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com<electricboats%40yahoogroups.com><electricboats%
> > 40yahoogroups.com>,
> >
> > > > "jameszagray" <jzagray@> wrote:
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Howdy! I joined your group because I am on a quest to eliminate the
> > use
> > > > >> of a gas engine as a "kicker" on my 1974 Aquarious-23 sailboat. I
> > bought
> > > > >> a Minn Kota, 24v, 160 lb. thrust, dual engine mount motor, and have
> > just
> > > > >> finished mounting it to the bottom part of an old Johnson outboard
> > with
> > > > >> the power head removed. For now, I'm going to run 2 12v deep cycle
> > > > >> batteries wired for 24v, charged by 2 12v, 30w solar panels, also
> > wired
> > > > >> for 24v. The plan is to someday add at least 2 more batteries and 2
> > more
> > > > >> solar panels. Right now, the boat is wired to run the 65 lb. Minn
> > Kota I
> > > > >> used last season from a plug on the transom. I need to figure out
> > how to
> > > > >> run cables and disconnects for my new system so I can easily take
> > the
> > > > >> motor off the boat for trailering.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> I'll be posting pictures of what I have so far in the album
> > "Electric
> > > > >> Kicker". I would love to have input, comments and advise from those
> > of
> > > > >> you with experience.
> > > > >>
> > > > >> Happy sailing!
> > > > >> ~James
> > > > >>
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.


Find useful articles and helpful tips on living with Fibromyalgia. Visit the Fibromyalgia Zone today!


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment