Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Pushing a 16 ft fiberglass Whitehall

 

Others know more than me and will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that if cost/benefit is not a factor, the Torqeedo will demonstrate significantly greater overall efficiency due to more efficient motor/controls; faired shaft yielding less hydrodynamic drag; lower overall system weight, and novel, proprietary prop design more suited to your application (vs slow-speed propulsion of heavier fishing craft and weed-shedding as for trolling motors). 

But purchase cost, new or used, will be substantially higher.

-Per



 


-----Original Message-----
From: justaflsailor <sbl12@students.uwf.edu>
To: electricboats <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, May 29, 2013 10:29 am
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Pushing a 16 ft fiberglass Whitehall

 

So what would be the most efficient? I plan to mount a small solar panel as its primary means to keep it charged.
--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "stmbtwle" <stmbtwle@...> wrote:
>
> I think a trolling motor while possibly not the most efficient may be your best choice. At least they're affordable. Torqueedos are probably better motors but they're priced accordingly.
>
> I've used a 40# Minn Kota on my 18' canoe for several years now, and I've been very happy with it. It's probably a "resistor", motor as some others have mentioned and when I replace it (soon) I'm going to go with the 55# PWM motor which should be more efficient and even faster (the 40 would get me 5 mph, and 20 miles on two golf batteries).
>
> If using a trolling motor you want to build a fairing for the round motor shaft. Without the fairing the shaft causes considerable turbulence (not to mention drag) and also vibration. The fairing also helps steering. For fishing the round shaft may not matter but at the speeds you'll be making you need the fairing.
>
> I tried a Kipawa prop on my Minn Kota but found the performance was not as good as the original prop.
>
> Some pix:
> http://s71.photobucket.com/user/stmbtwle/media/100_0700.jpg.html
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "justaflsailor" <sbl12@>
> http://s71.photobucket.com/user/stmbtwle/media/Controldetail.jpg.html
> http://s71.photobucket.com/user/stmbtwle/media/MotorInstallation.jpg.html
>
> Willie
>
> wrote:
> >
> > I was curious if anybody has done this as to not reinvent the wheel.
> > The oat is 16ft almost canoe/ kayak shaped. It weighs about 140 lbs.
> > I had thought about using a cut down trolling motor, but heard they were innefficient. If somebody has in their opinion the best set up, I would love to hear.
> >
>

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (59)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment