Tuesday, March 29, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: electric Sailboats

 

Mark F,

Electric boating is all about efficiency to me, since electrons are a scarce resource out on the water. So I hear you asking, "how to go farther/faster on less".

I say more power (more sail), or less drag (clean hull, hull surfacing tech [ribblets, bubbles, or teflon anyone?], better propeller, lighter boat, hydrofoil).

But I've gone too far, since hydrofoils only benefit above 10 knots, which is out of bounds from your original question. But while on the subject, I personally hit 35 knots boat speed with < 25 knot winds on SF Bay when I had a Rave. See:
http://www.windrider.com/windrider_rave.aspx

Mark Stafford

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "acsarfkram" <acsarfkram@...> wrote:
>
> I hesitate bringing up this subject here because it is not technically "electric boating".
>
> I feel electric sailboats have an increased need to excel at SAILING in the lower end of their operating range and would be interested in what others are doing to accomplish that.
>
> Is this too far astray or ok? Where to go if not ok here?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
> Santa Cruz
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment