Saturday, July 23, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: Electric slow cruise with I/O

 

One motor moves the boat along but in a circle, I have no idea how fast. I use this setup to get a lower speed for docking as the I/O minimum speed is 5 mph. Batteries are too poor to get meaningfull specs for range. The boat is a cabin cruiser so is heavy, maybe 5000 ibs fully loaded. I think a large torqueedo would be needed to get the speed you are after, twin 4.0r's would be a nice setup if you have the cash. Twin 101 thrust trolling motors might work but no reserve power and not as efficient. Just guessing here.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Berry" <chreesto@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the response. Did you ever try with just one of the Motorguide
> 55? Any stats?
>
> Thanks
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
> On Behalf Of lastpenny
> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 6:48 AM
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric slow cruise with I/O
>
>
>
>
>
> I have a 23 foot wellcraft suncruiser. I installed 2 - 55 pound thrust
> Motorguide trolling motors (one on each end of the swim platform). Full
> speed was 2.9 mph, which is fairly close to the designed maximum speed. Some
> steering control by turning individual motors off. The speed (in dead calm)
> was great for relaxed cruising. The quiet was awesome. I wish I could go
> with an electric only system. Please don't ask for range (poor hull design,
> resistor speed control, old cranking batteries and very limited use) as I am
> just experimenting.
>
> --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com> , "maggyberry" <chreesto@>
> wrote:
> >
> > Anybody have experience with mounting electric outboard on swim platform
> or other to cruise at slow speeds on 25-28 foot inboard outboard?
> > Raise the outdrive and lower electric motor. I know the hull shape is all
> wrong but could I make 4-5 knots with say a big Torqueedo?
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment