Thursday, September 22, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27 conversion

 

Ben
 
I would think there must be a system out there for your boat. My ASMO Marine Thoosa 9000 system works well on my 8 ton 30 footer. I know they had higher powered systems for larger boatsbut,  I am not familiar with the specs.
 
Capt. Mike


--- On Wed, 9/21/11, Ben Okopnik <ben@linuxgazette.net> wrote:

From: Ben Okopnik <ben@linuxgazette.net>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27 conversion
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 7:47 PM

 
On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 02:46:08PM -0000, Mike Gunning wrote:
> Leland.
> I represent Electric Yachts on the West Coast. The Catalina 27 is a straight forward conversion. Both Scott McMillan (owner of EY) and I have Catalina 27 electric propulsion and I will be glad to share with you pictures and details of the conversion.
> Was the diesel the original motor or was it an earlier replacement for an Atomic 4, they came both ways? The EY 100ibl will push you boat at hull speed with great efficiency. I have a small 100amp gel battery system and it has exceeded my projections of distance of 10 miles to now be 15 miles at about 4kts. In my larger Newport 30 I have a 300amp battery supply and it has a 40 mile range. The Catalina also has a 2 bladed 12X10 composite prop from Performance Propeller (this I believe is the reason for the greater performance and range). The total system including the sightly used batteries was $5000 and took about two days to complete the install. I can give you a quote if you would be kind enough to visit my website:
> http://electricyachtssocal.com

Wow, I'm seriously jealous of those numbers. If I could get a 40 mile
range with anything resembling reasonable size/cost... ah well. My
10.5-ton, 45' Morgan does not seem to fall into "reasonable" range for
an electric conversion (at least my best effort to date hasn't turned up
any such animal - I'd be very happy if someone could prove me wrong),
and since my diesel just blew up in the classic "runaway" fashion, I
guess I get to install another diesel. I'm rather unhappy about that; I
was really looking forward to converting to an e-boat. :(((

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment