Wednesday, September 21, 2011

[Electric Boats] Re: ME0913 vs 180ibl?

 

Michael,
All the EY units use belts. The assemblies are pretty simple to work on, consisting of bolted together aluminum extrusions and plates. Changing a motor only takes a few minutes. The belt takes a little longer since you have to do a little more disassembly, but it's all really straight-forward nuts and bolts stuff.
I like your idea about publishing some better assembly drawings/photos, I'll mention it to Scott next time I talk to him. In fact I have been bugging him to hire me to do some 3-D models and electrical drawings and such, but so far he hasn't bit. Meanwhile I'm sure he'll be happy to give you any info you need if you give him a call.

I also like your "all electric" boat concept. My brother Scott (of Electric Yacht) has been talking to some industry folks and apparently it's a concept that's been getting some attention. I think it has real possibilities if well executed.

I'm planning something like that for my little Albin 25 trawler. I've got room for about 1KW of solar on the hard-top, and will probably do a deployable wind genny and a tiny Diesel gen-set for backup. I don't think anyone sells a turn-key system, but most of the components are available from various sources. It's mainly a systems integration task. That's what I do for a living, but on airplanes, so I'm thinking I might be up to the challenge. Should be fun. I'm hoping to start buying some of the big pieces this fall.

I'll try and work up a blog or something as I go along, and will continue to haunt this group.

Cheers,
Jim McMillan

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Michael Mccomb <mccomb.michael@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Capt Geoff,
>
>
> The part of my goal that you guys can address is to provide the opportunity for redundancy and easy self repair.
>
>
> The ME0913s are readily available from many sources and for as low as $600 so i'd like to keep one in my stores. That combined with the ability to physically replace a motor without too much trouble is important to me.
>
> I am also trying to find a way to use a diesel engine with additional ME0913s attached as generators.  I have not completely convinced myself that this is a good idea.  If ME0913 generator approach cannot or best not be done, then i will end up with a dc genset and a spare large frame 48v alternator.
>
> I am having a bit of trouble determining from the drawings how one would go about swapping out a motor or a belt (are the 360ibls using belts?)...  do you have any photographs of the 360ibl? 
>
>
> It might be helpful for you to generate more interest if there were a series of photos showing the various stages to breaking down for one of your units.  Not all but a lot of boat people like to be able to repair things themselves.  One cannot carry a spare or replace a diesel at sea and that represents a great opportunity for the electric boat people if they will only grab onto it
>
> I wish to setup and utilize a system as a giant UPS.   It will be charged via shore power, solar cells, wind turbine or whatever and then as the final backup by a diesel genset.  With the UPS mode in mind it is obvious that the whole thing should function automatically to recharge the batteries.   In the case of all but the genset this should be occurring whenever there is the opportunity based on electricity being available.  The genset will be setup so as to automatically come on when the batteries reach a certain level of discharge.   So like I say, just a big UPS system powering electric motors and everything else on board.
>
> Michael
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: geoff gamsby <geoffgamsby@...>
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:32 AM
> Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: ME0913 vs 180ibl?
>
>
>  
> electric yacht uses Montenergy motors one of them being the ME0913. Electric yacht integrates these motors into a their systems and warranties the whole assembly.  Creating a plug and play system.
>
>
> Capt Geoff
> LakeUnionCharters.com
> 360.399.6490 (Info & reservations)
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment