Thursday, September 22, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Catalina 27 conversion

 

Hi, George -

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 02:51:21PM -0400, GNHBus@aol.com wrote:
>
> Ben,
> Sally at Annapolis Hybrid just finished a Hylas 44 hybrid set up with Thoosa
> 12000 System
> This would be nice on your Morgan 45, would you consider financing, 3-4 yrs
> ???

What would be the point? If the solution doesn't make financial sense,
it would make even less sense to pay for renting the money in addition
to the initial cost.

If the cost of the system could be kept down to $15k or so, I'd be
willing to pay the 50%+ premium for the benefits of having an e-drive
system. I'm certainly not willing to pay a 150% or 200% premium.

> Hybrid System - nice quiet e-prop when necessary, diesel gen back up for
> extended range.
> electric motor sailing , 1-2 knots e-power with sails , the most efficient,
> effective method

Oh, I'm very much sold on the benefits of electric drive - especially
since I've been using an electric motor on my dinghy for the past few
weeks. Love the thing dearly, and would never go back to an ICE (I might
borrow one to tow the big boat or something like that, but for regular
ship-to-shore work, this is *it*, hands down.) But the cost has to stay
within sensible brackets. E.g., the cost of the Minn Kota was comparable
to a 2HP outboard, and it pushes my boat about like a 1.5HP outboard
would; therefore, I'm paying a bit of a premium for the power produced,
but I'm willing to do that for the benefits received. If it was double
or triple the cost, it wouldn't work for me.

--
Ben Okopnik
-=-=-=-=-=-

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment