Thursday, March 25, 2021

Re: [electricboats] Material Choices (was:Sizing motor for 45-50’ boats)

Hey guys FaceTime my understanding of working with springs for many years I would worry about stress corrosion machining stainless steel and using it underwater unless you passivated after. Any pieces of carbon that get embedded from the machining process into the steel can act as a crack starter or stress corrosion propagation point so passivation is a light acid bath that is meant to dissolve those particles after machining so that at least you have a clean surface. I think you can do it with citric acid at home but I'm not sure. I love carbon steel the higher the ability to harden it usually meets the more and faster it will rust though so there may be trade-offs there of course coding it will help. Just some thoughts I have never made a shaft myself nor use to steal or stainless steel I bought a used bronze

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021, 4:23 PM Dan Pfeiffer <dan@pfeiffer.net> wrote:
>>Hi, Dan
>>I will suggest 34CrNiMo6 alloy for your shaft.
>>>
>>>On Friday, 19 March 2021, 07:07:01 GMT+8, Dan Pfeiffer <dan@pfeiffer.net> wrote:
>>>Carsten, You mentioned that I should not bother with stainless steel for my small output shaft.  What would you suggest for that instead? 

I found this info:
https://steelnavigator.ovako.com/steel-grades/34crnimo6/

Is a 4340 a similar alloy? I can get that from McMaster.  Cost is the about the same as SS.  How hard will it machine in my lathe?   I was prepared to machine the SS.  Will this be tougher? 

Also, I am figuring you have some background in all this? 

Thanks, Dan Pfeiffer


_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#31232) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment