Tuesday, December 16, 2014

RE: [Electric Boats] running the motor on genset

 

No, I have a rectified AC to DC. Wish it was but back in 2004 there was only a few out there and very expensive. Mines an HFL built in Germany using a Kubota 4 Cyl.

 

Steve  

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 7:12 AM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] running the motor on genset

 




Steve,

 

my sailboat is 37ft, 20,000lbs,

your generator is DC?

 

Martin


To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 07:08:55 -0500
Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] running the motor on genset

 

 

Martin,

I have a 41 foot Cat with the Solomons Tech system, Twin ST74 motors putting out 12HP(24HP) on each side. I also have a 16 KW Genset that meets the needs to get to hull speed, around 8 knots. With a variable speed  output on the genset I charge the batteries then any excess power is sent to the motors. Now here’s the kicker. I run at 144V DC which means I only need around 80A to run at hull speed so the 16KW genset meets the needs of the motors. By setting the genset output to anywhere from 144V to 164V DC I can safely charge the batteries then run the motors with the genset since the amperage is reduced to the batteries. I can run all day on genset only if I had to.

So to answer your question yes you can but Genset size would depend on your voltage output (amps) of the genset and the motor requirements.  This sounds like you’re looking at a mono boat in the 40 ft range?

 

Steve in Solomons MD

Lagoon 410 S2E

 

 
 
did someone run his motor only on generator power without any batteries? was this discussed before? would it need a too big generator ? I was thinking of a 15 hp motor driven by a 25kw generator? 
any opinions?
 
Thanks, Martin



 




__._,_.___

Posted by: Steve Dolan <SDolan@scannersllc.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment