Sunday, January 12, 2014

RE: [Electric Boats] Message Review

 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates your uncompensated support of this forum. Thanks fir you time. 


Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S®4, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone



-------- Original message --------
From: Myles Twete <matwete@comcast.net>
Date: 01/11/2014 1:55 PM (GMT-10:00)
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Electric Boats] Message Review


 

Bradley-

[Moderator hat on now…here's the way it is:]

 

That is a great question and the answer is more complicated given who asked it.

I also have been a member for some time (12 years?) and haven't always been moderator.

When Paul Preuss handed the reins to me, I was moderated as were probably 95% of those in the group.

What a pain for me as I had to manually approve most posts.

In time, I adopted a policy of unmoderating members after their first sane post.

Every member starts out as "moderated" to help keep the list from attacks and spam.

Few people have had to be remoderated or banned from posting or banned altogether.

Eventually I only had to approve maybe 10 messages a week with this system, which was nice.

Then in the past year, YAHOO decided to change the GROUPS.

The Moderator interface is terrible.

Where before I could quickly "unmoderate" several members quickly, it's now a total pain to change any member's privileges.

Even the member and message search function doesn't work well for me.

And after several attempts, I've never been able to change the Group's Home Page Picture.

Then this past FALL, some wise guy decided he wanted to make me look like an idiot and posted 3 derogatory posts in my name.

My only sensible way to keep that from happening was to curtail my own posting privileges---yes, I'm also "moderated".

 

Now, that would be all to share except there's one more thing.  Even if everything reverted back to how nice it used to be over a year ago, in your case you personally would still have all your posts moderated.  And it's nothing personal.  I've tried to unmoderate your posts several times over the years but YAHOO will not allow me to do that for users with return addresses of no_reply@YahooGroups.com, which yours is.  So, your choice being made to do that is not my fault.  And while you could change that now, I'm not in a position to unmoderate anyone until this interface improves by Yahoo.

 

Bottom line: I'm currently the only moderator and posts can take from minutes to hours or even days to get thru depending on my access.

 

Final Note: I do not moderate all posts from E-boat business folks and I play no favorites.  Some of you folks are moderated, some not.  If you are, nothing personal, but I'm not out to delay or block your voice---please be patient and it will get out there.  To the one person in this regard who has been a very valuable contributor recently but has had his most recent post attempts not appear, I do hope to see you try again.

 

I value and consider it a privilege to be a member of this group.  You all help make this a great resource for all of us.

 

Happy New Year to you all J!

 

Sincerely,

 

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

 

 

 

From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of semicolonsutra
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 1:10 PM
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Electric Boats] Message Review

 

 

I've been a member for a couple years now and participated in conversations a dozen or so times--so why am I still blocked for immediate posting when I ask a question or respond to a question?   It seems this forum would be much more useful if questions could be posted/answered in near real time.

 

--Bradley

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment