Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New member, new electric & solar powered motorboat

 

Sorry, that's $1.25 a Watt, I think it's down to $1.19 a Watt right now but it bounces around and went up to about $1.38 a Watt a few months ago.
 
This is for heavy duty, top of the line American made stuff and at the time I bought you could can get  Chinese panels for $.99 a Watt at Sun Electric but I paid the extra quarter at Kemery Solar in Strawberry Plains Tennessee.  

From: Kirk McLoren <kirkmcloren@yahoo.com>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New member, new electric & solar powered motorboat



125 a watt?
 

Worry is a misuse of the imagination

From: Carter Quillen <twowheelinguy@yahoo.com>
To: "electricboats@yahoogroups.com" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 6:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New member, new electric & solar powered motorboat

 
I'm not sure we are all comparing apple to apples here on efficiency.
 
I thought I was doing good with 15% eff., then I started wondering while reading some of these posts with everyone talking 18-20% however my panels eff. is calculated using gross panel area, not the total the individual cell's area. When calculating eff. I'm considering the frame and space between modules too. The individual module probably is about 18-20% eff. but I'm not exactly sure. How this calculation is done is a very important distinction when comparing.
 
I'm getting 260W in a 42x56" panel in a well constructed, heavy duty aluminum frame with 1/4" tempered glass and paid about $125/watt. Made in the USA btw. They  are a bit heavier than ideal but very robust, (you can actually walk on the panel but not recommended), and should stand the test of time.
 
Carter

From: James Sizemore <james@deny.org>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: New member, new electric & solar powered motorboat



Those panels are only 18% efficient  you have to have TWO 50w 30x20 inch panels to equal 100watts. So a total of 60x20 inch.    The panels Myles posted are 20% efficient and are made from top of the line cells. 100w = 41x21 inch.  My only fear with the flexible panels is will the plastic membrane discolor over time.  Glass my be heavy but it does stay clear.  Still the weigh savings is nice.  I am thinks of ordering a few of the Sacred solar panels to see what they really look like up close. 


On Mar 17, 2013, at 3:27 AM, Yme Bosma wrote:

g. 100w at 40x32inch, and 200w at the same size.. I was only looking at the latter ones, they seemed very efficient at that size...











__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (48)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment