Sunday, March 24, 2013

Re: [Electric Boats] Help me decide the most appropriate components...

 

Ok....cPAUL you asked for opinions, here's mine. First off, I should say by introduction that I'm a half-retired engineer and veteran of many a project and not a few boats.......including some self-designed and self-built. Right now I have a 16 foot much modified electric and a 28 foot commercial multihull sailboat.  
I know similar boats, and that Carver looks like  a decent boat with a good powerplant which makes it a decent candidate for electrical conversion.
 
 My advice might seem a little strange at first, but it's serious. I would advise to get it running well with the gas engines that it has in it and use it for a season.  I'm betting that the things you will learn about the boat in one season will make the electric conversion better, cheaper, and probably faster.
What do others think? 
       Anyone?
  Roger L.
..........
...............
 
----- Original Message -----
From: cPAUL
Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2013 2:43 PM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Help me decide the most appropriate components...

Hi and thanks for reading this.... I recently aquired a 28 ft Carver Santa Cruz.  It has dual 220 hp gas engines I will be removing.  I plan on using common parts," as low cost as possible.  I have some electrical experience, and will have no problem doing a clean install, does any one have any suggestions for my layout and which parts I should use? I will also have solar cells, wind generators.  I was also wondering on the use of 12v altinators being powered on by the prop shaft.  The boats total weight with the two motors is approx. 10,500 lbs.  does any one have any helpful knowledge or advice??



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (3)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment