Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Parts List for Electric Conversion



believe regen by a standard prop/Emotor setup is not a viable option. A prop is like an airfoil, designed to have a low pressure side at the frontside of the ship and high presuure on the back. In regenmode it is just the other way round and then an airfoil is ivery counterproductive. You only see symmetrical airfoils at very high speeds, the Emotor needs also be very high revving. In your car doing 3000 maybe 4000 revs the dynamo is also geared (4/1?) making 12000 revs?. No way near in your boat in regen mode.
This topic coming up so much lately I have been brainstorming.

What may be a way to go in the future is a kind of advanced Voight-Schneider type of drive in a sailboat. It is used nowadays in harbourtugs because of its extreme manoevrability ( it is like a horizontal placed, immersed paddlewheel) . But in stead of controlling the vanes by the standard pushrods, computerized servo controlled vanes must be possible.
Now you have the abillety to be in standard drive mode. Put the blades in vane position when sailing, even steer with them as a real rudder. Or set the blades in regenmode in the correct position and angle of attack.
You have to gear the electric motor anyway to drive the big wheel so you can choose a very high revving Emotor anyway to drive or to regen.

It might be a way to regen but I lack the oppertunities, the abilleties and the means to persue this thought into reality.

Carel.
----- Original Message -----
From: aweekdaysailor
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 8:20 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Parts List for Electric Conversion

Doing research into regeneration is fine if you have the money and time. Please take careful notes and publish your findings.

But it's never really been demonstrated to work (maybe once.. underpowered and very expensive boat).

Here's my regen page:

http://sites.google.com/site/electricboating/Home/range-optimization/regeneration - I cite references (including those counter to my opinion) based on the examples I was able to dig up via Google, but if you can find better examples, please let me know.

Here's my page on range optimizations

http://sites.google.com/site/electricboating/Home/range-optimization

and now I'll shut up :)

-Keith

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Obrecht" <herrobrecht@...> wrote:
>
> Mark, Absolutely. For me, regen is not a huge priority but I am open to the
> idea. A combo of a windmill, solar and regen might be enough to extend your
> range. But then again, the old Honda generator option on the deck could
> suffice too and is a lot cheaper (not without it's problems).
>
>
>
> -Roy
>
>
>
>
>
> From: electricboats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:electricboats@yahoogroups.com]
> On Behalf Of Dr. Mark Draper
> Sent: Monday, June 22, 2009 11:02 AM
> To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Parts List for Electric Conversion
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi Roy,
>
> You, Dave and I seem to have similar performance goals (I have a Cal25).
> Besides getting in and out of the marina, I'd like to use the prop to
> generate power while sailing. There seems to be disagreement on how
> workable this is today. But let's share research.
>
> md
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Roy Obrecht <herrobrecht@...
> <mailto:herrobrecht%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I'm considering this option as well. I have an '84 Catalina 30 with seized
> > universal 25 diesel. Sometime soon I'm going to pull the engine. While I'm
> > at it, I want to replace the shaft with the leak proof type (hate water in
> > the bilge).
> >
> > My goals are a little different. I would consider a cheaper option of
> 30-60
> > minutes run time, maybe even 15 minutes. I just need to get in an out of
> the
> > harbor. I don't need four knots of speed although it's good to have the
> > power option in case there are breakers at the harbor entrance to over
> come.
> >
> > Have you made any progress in your research?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > -Roy
> >
> > Santa Cruz, California
> >
> >
> > --- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:electricboats%40yahoogroups.com> <electricboats%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > "dtetta" <dtetta@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello-
> > > I have decided to try and convert my catalina 30 from diesel to
> electric,
> > and am thrilled to have found this group. I have been searching the
> postings
> > for any sample parts lists and prices. Any recommendations on previous
> posts
> > that have covered this topic?
> > >
> > > Dave Tetta
> > >
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> Mark Draper, Ph.D.
> President
> OurFinest.Org
> www.ourfinest.org
> (301) 294 6547
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment