Monday, July 18, 2022

[electricboats] Zapi Controller Parameter Questions

Hello, All:

I've got a Zapi SEM-1 Controller on my Duffy Electric boat, and I'm confused about some of the parameter settings for the controller, so I hope there are some knowledgeable controller people here.

I've got the Zapi handheld programming tool, so I can change the parameters as necessary. Duffy Electric has not been helpful in answering these questions, and I haven't been able to find anyone local with an understanding of some of the interactions of the parameters, so I'm hoping someone here can clue me in. I should also mention that the previous owner may have adjusted some of these parameters, so I'm trying to make sure they are optimal for the motor.


Some additional information - The motor is a 5 hp 48V DC motor with a max current rating of 110A and field current rating of 10A. I believe it's a shunt DC motor (with A1, A2, F1, F2 connections). The power source is a 48V 160Ah NMC battery.

Here are the definitions from the controller manual for the 4 critical parameters for which I have interest:

Maximum Current = Maximum Controller Current
Armature Nominal Current = Parameter fixes a limit for the armature current above which the field current is at least the nominal value, regardless of accelerator position
Weak Dropout = Parameter fixes a limit on the armature current above which field current is increased linearly up to nominal field current (in proportion to the armature current)
Field Nominal Current = Parameter fixes the minimum field nominal current when the potentiometer is between 0% and 60% without total conduction of the armature. Adjustment should be made with reference to the data on the motor label (the indication of nominal field current)

So, here are current parameter settings and questions:

Maximum Current = 100% (options of 82-100% in increments of 2%)
Armature Nominal Current = 54% of Max Current (options of 45-65% in increments of 2 or 3%)
Weak Dropout = 62% of Armature Nominal Current (options of 40-80% in increments of 4 or 5%)
Field Nominal Current = 10 A (as specified in the motor data; options of 7.5 to 13.1 A in increments of 0.5 or 0.6 A)

So, for me, the Maximum Current and Field Nominal Current parameters seem straightforward, but I'm confused by the Armature Nominal Current and especially the Weak Dropout parameters. Are the current settings for these parameters reasonable? What are the implications for the Weak Dropout parameter?

Thanks very much for any perspectives you can offer!
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#32035) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [newarmyguitar24@gmail.com]

_._,_._,_

No comments:

Post a Comment