Friday, May 22, 2020

Re: [electricboats] Time to re-power

Hi,

Well is see that around ½ of you with my size boat use 5KW and ½ use 10KW. Pro/Cons please anybody.

Better regen, Longer distance, More efficient? With what I know (not much yet) I am just scared to commit as to what the heck to buy.

 

 

From: electricboats@groups.io <electricboats@groups.io> On Behalf Of tom@tsteininc.com
Sent: May 22, 2020 10:39 AM
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: Re: [electricboats] Time to re-power

 

I too heartily recommend Thunderstruck.  They are knowledgeable, reasonably priced and very patient with those of us with more questions than experience.  I've installed the 10KW kit with a 2:1 reduction on my 1980 30' O"day.

 

Tom Stein

Santa Rosa Beach, FL



On May 22, 2020, at 11:06 AM, Myles Twete <matwete@comcast.net> wrote:

 

Lots of thumbs-ups on Thunderstruck J.

I may be their first customer to apply their products to a boat.

In Spring 2003 when I converted my outboard, I was using a surplus ex-Tropica EV Advanced DC nom. 6HP series-wound 60# brush motor.  I quickly was sold on the EV conversion being all I had expected.  Summer came and I went to watch EV drag races at the drag strip in Woodburn, Oregon.  Among the most impressive racers to me that day were the converted motorcycles being run by a couple guys from a relatively new company called Thunderstruck.  So I talked to them and quickly got sold on getting an ETEK 8HP permanent magnet brush motor from them---only 20#, smaller and much more efficient than the motor I had been using.  The coup-de-gras was when the Thunderstruck owner said "and, both the mounting bolt pattern and shaft diameter of the ETEK motor matches your ADC motor!"  So I didn't have to machine any new parts---not totally the case as the shaft was longer (I had it shortened).

 

No regrets…only issue I now have is that there doesn't seem to be any New-old-stock ETEK brushes out there anywhere---and I'm on my last brush set now…

 

Anyway-

 

-Myles Twete, Portland, Or.

 

 

From: electricboats@groups.io [mailto:electricboats@groups.io] On Behalf Of fred4936 via groups.io
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2020 7:43 AM
To: electricboats@groups.io
Subject: Re: [electricboats] Time to re-power

 

I will also recommend Thunderstruck. Our kit came from them, and customer support has been very good over the past 9 years. If I had it to do over again, I would of gone with the 10KW kit. Ours was the old 8.5kw kit, which is no longer offered. But it has been adequate for us over the years, but a little more would of been nice on a couple of occasions.

 

Fred Liesegang

Tartan 27-2

 

No comments:

Post a Comment