Saturday, September 7, 2019

Re: [Electric Boats] Greetings! Catalina 30 owner here, considering an electric repower

 

Hi, everyone,

I appreciate the great discussions, I've learned a lot, but may I suggest that photos be resized 
to be much smaller before posting? All of the emails and pics in the thread (I use Gmail) require 
sliding back and forth to read the lines and see the pics that go waaaay off the right of the monitor.

Thanks!

Dan

Daniel H. Wolf, Esq.
Founder, CEO
Democracy Counts!
San Diego, CA 92103 USA
619.270.6434 Mobile

Act always as if the future of the universe depends on what you do, while laughing at yourself for thinking that anything you do makes any difference.

                                                                                                  A Buddhist saying


On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 11:06 PM JD jpgroupfinancial@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi Matt,

I have a 1983 C30 that had an old atomic 4 in it. Last season I installed an electric 12kw motor. I have some good lessons learned and would be willing to share my experiences with you.

 

On Sep 2, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Matt Foley matt@sunlightconversions..com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

 A used replacement diesel would cost $3k, not counting labor & incidentals, and a new one is over $6k. I'm not thrilled at putting in another raw water cooled noisy thing at such a premium, and we're seriously considering an electric repower for the next season.  AGREED, IT SEEMS ARCHAIC TO INSTALL A BRAND NEW DIESEL THAT MAY LAST 30 YEARS.. AN ELECTRIC MOTOR IS FUTURE PROOF. TODAY WE USE BATTERIES, MAYBE TOMORROW IT WILL BE A FUEL CELL BUT IT WILL STILL BE AN ELECTRIC DRIVE. BY GOING ELECTRIC YOU NEED TO KEEP IN MIND YOU WILL BE SACRIFICING RANGE, PARTICULARLY RANGE AT SPEED. BATTERY TECH GETS BETTER AND CHEAPER EVERY DAY BUT WE ARE STILL A WAYS AWAY.    

We live in Maine, work full-time, and have a young family---we are day sailors for the foreseeable future.  We generally have used the engine to power in and out of the harbor and get canvas up. Of course, a bit of extra power for the doldrums & emergencies is a good idea.


We have a mooring (shore power is not something we have regular access to) and were thinking of a 10kW brushless DC motor & controller, etc, a ~10kw battery bank (probably AGM), and some solar panels to mount off the stern.  What research I've done suggests that this would be enough to get a few hours of power at ~3-4 kts every few days, which seems adequate. 10KW MOTOR IS PLENTY FOR YOUR BOAT. I THINK 10KWH BATTERY BANK  IS A GOOD PLACE TO START BUT KEEP IN MIND A 10 KWH BANK OF AGM BATTERIES WILL GIVE YOU A USABLE 5 KWH. FOR THIS REASON AND MANY OTHERS ITS HARD TO RECOMMEND ANYTHING BUT LITHIUM. PERSONALLY, I WOULD ONLY RECOMMEND AGM IF YOU COULD GET THEM CHEAP AND ARE FULLY AWARE OF THEIR LIMITATIONS, E...G PEUKERT'S LAW.


So, I'm looking for advice if this sounds like a good plan, and for some tips about the size & type of solar panels we should consider. I'm looking at the 10kw brushless kit on Thunderstruck. I'd really prefer to keep the parts cost at $5k-6k, which seems like it might be possible. YOU CAN GO WITH FLEXIBLE OR RIGID, REALLY DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CAN FIT WHERE.  I HAVE AN O'DAY 31 AND I'M ABLE TO FIT A TOTAL OF 460 WATTS ON MY BIMINI AND DODGER. ON A GOOD DAY I GET ABOUT 30 AMP HOURS AT 52 VOLTS OR 1.5 KWH'S. THAT'S ABOUT 15% CHARGE A DAY. ON A TYPICAL DAY SAIL IN THE BAY, I MAY ONLY USE 15%. I'M ON A MOORING AS WELL. I HAVE ONLY CHARGED AT A DOCK IF I'M ON A MULTI DAY SAIL..


I'm also curious about hydrogenerators; our mooring sits in an estuary that experiences strong currents at midtide and I'm curious if the prop as  genset or a secondary hydro turbine would be a wise supplement to the solar. HOW FAST IS THE CURRENT? I DON'T THINK YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO USE PROP. YOU WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE WITH A SECONDARY HYDRO TURBINE. 


If we go this route, I would probably do some of the installation work under the guidance of a knowledgeable boat mechanic. 





Matt Foley 
Sunlight Conversions
Perpetual Energy, LLC
201-914-0466


On Monday, August 26, 2019, 09:35:46 AM EDT, jasonsewall@gmail.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 

Hello electric boaters,


My wife and I bought a 1982 Catalina 30 about 4 years ago and we have had a fine time sailing it. Alas, around a year ago, the original Universal 5411 diesel engine broke down, and after what seems a very long time of looking at it, the mechanic says it's beyond saving. 


A used replacement diesel would cost $3k, not counting labor & incidentals, and a new one is over $6k. I'm not thrilled at putting in another raw water cooled noisy thing at such a premium, and we're seriously considering an electric repower for the next season.


We live in Maine, work full-time, and have a young family---we are day sailors for the foreseeable future.  We generally have used the engine to power in and out of the harbor and get canvas up. Of course, a bit of extra power for the doldrums & emergencies is a good idea.


We have a mooring (shore power is not something we have regular access to) and were thinking of a 10kW brushless DC motor & controller, etc, a ~10kw battery bank (probably AGM), and some solar panels to mount off the stern.  What research I've done suggests that this would be enough to get a few hours of power at ~3-4 kts every few days, which seems adequate.


So, I'm looking for advice if this sounds like a good plan, and for some tips about the size & type of solar panels we should consider. I'm looking at the 10kw brushless kit on Thunderstruck. I'd really prefer to keep the parts cost at $5k-6k, which seems like it might be possible..


I'm also curious about hydrogenerators; our mooring sits in an estuary that experiences strong currents at midtide and I'm curious if the prop as  genset or a secondary hydro turbine would be a wise supplement to the solar.


If we go this route, I would probably do some of the installation work under the guidance of a knowledgeable boat mechanic.


Thanks and I look forward to learning a lot from you folks.

__._,_.___

Posted by: Daniel Wolf <danielhwolf@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (20)

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment