Saturday, April 6, 2019

Re: AW: Re: [Electric Boats] My post

 

So if your highest usage needs are just a few hours let's say 4 hours to have an exact target, every few weeks, and one hour a day to drop and pull an anchor, and leave a harbor, then if you current 1 kWh solar array supplies your current energy needs and has at least a 10% overage, then your current array seems well sized. 

So assuming your four hours of motoring takes 3 kW an hour, plus an hour to anchor daily, your worst day energy usage would require a usable 12 kWh capacity battery bank. 

A LiFePo4 bank using 80% discharge limits would be at minimum a 15 kWh capacity bank.

A Lead based bank using 50% discharge limits would be at minimum a 24 kWh capacity bank.  In reality with higher discharge and charging losses, 28 kWh capacity might be a better minimum size. 

You could possibly get away with a 10 kWh motors per shaft.  Thou given the weight of your boat, I would probably go higher, just to have better tight quarters handling. 

James Sizemore 

On Apr 6, 2019, at 4:22 AM, Alex Althoff domu723@yahoo.de [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Thank you very much for your answer. You are right, I did not post my travel patterns which are quite different as to credit card captains.

I am mostly travelling/sailing ONLY to and from the anchoring point, because my anchorwinch 1500W needs power through at least one motor. But off course there will be occasions that I need to motor a few hours.

Can you tell me, where to change my post as I cant find it in the groups forum?






Am Sa., Apr. 6, 2019 at 3:48 schrieb 'james@deny.org' james@deny.org [electricboats]
 

You did not really say what your usage patterns would be, so it will be hard to give useful advise.

If you are redoing the hardtop anyways, and if you plan even moderate motoring you would want a lot more solar then just the 1kw you have now.  Do the current panels cover the entire surface? And what efficiency are they? If less then 17% efficient I would consider replacing them with at least 20% efficient panels that cover all available space. If you have a mast consider micro inverters to mitigate shading. 

I have a similar weight boat, though yours has much more electric friendly hulls. I have 3kw of solar and can travel under 100% solar at around 3 knots.  If I go faster then that I typically dip into battery storage. Your more efficient hulls with 3 kW array might travel around 5 knots under full sun. Might. 

I use two ElectricYacht QT20 motors.. They have preformed well for me, though I had to beef up the forced air cooling that came with them, but I think there current models are water cooled so no longer an issue. 

I have a single 48 kWh Lithium battery feeding them.  Which even with out sun gives me two days worth of 3 knot motoring, about 8 hours each day. 

If you generally sail much more then you motor, then you could get away a smaller solar array and battery pack. 

James Sizemore




On Apr 4, 2019, at 9:26 PM, Alex Althoff domu723@yahoo.de [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Hello,


my name is Alex, owner of a leopard catamaran. I am interested in converting my boat from diesel to e-engines. Right now I am in the process to renew my hardtop, which has 6 integrated solar panels of 960W. House batteries are 3 AGMs with 198aH each. Future batteries should be Lithium.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a complete conversion and restoration?

Boat length is 38 ft.. 11,50m.
Weight is 6900kg empty, loaded around 10t. app. 18,000lb.
Diesel engines are 2 Westerbeke with 42hp each, but being 20 years old I guess much less.
The boat does not have ssildrives but 40mm shafts. 

Looking forward to some interesting advice.

Thank you
A.

__._,_.___

Posted by: "james@deny.org" <james@deny.org>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment