Tuesday, June 27, 2017

RE: [Electric Boats] Battery specific energy and power in relation to volume and density [1 Attachment]

 
[Attachment(s) from 66b6dcd5b59507e7d751ea81382ea1f6 included below]

Hi Myles,

Indeed, this was the point of my post and in my asking Hannu's knowledge of 'non boat' batteries. I agree re heat as we deal at such low loads compared to cars. Taking your reply a bit further, I just put this attached spreadsheet together for a boat that cruises at 4 knots using 1,000 Watts of battery power in calm conditions, for 4 different battery scenarios, all with similar ranges and battery cycle and calendar lives. Wh/Kg and volume are for the packs.

For simplicity I've kept the sheet as a direct drive so all scenarios work. The results will surprise some I suspect, especially when you look at range vs price, not to mention weight and volume. Mine is actually the 3rd (albeit the non Bluetooth Smart version) scenario. But being LiFePO4 they are the safest lithium chemistry I think for boats, plus they can do high C rates and have superior cycle life. The 4th wasn't around when I converted my boat.

The results are one of the reasons (for a small sailing yacht) I advocate as few batteries as possible and a small Honda 900W or 1600W continuous rated generator as a back up. It's the least expensive way and as a sail auxiliary the range is sufficient I'd say under battery power - we're meant to be sailing after all. This setup gives me 2 or 3 nights away on the boat, sailing when possible and subject to the wind there is generally no need to start the generator. I have a separate AGM house bank (2 x 12V 130Ah) with an inverter for a small kettle, grill, toaster etc.

I do my best to explain that in the link below where you can also see just how restricted for room I am, especially as I can only just reach out over the batteries to get to the PSS shaft seal if there was ever a problem.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2016/08/29/multiplus-magic-small-generator-big-power/

John R.

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from 66b6dcd5b59507e7d751ea81382ea1f6 | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 File(s)

Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (14)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment