Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Re: [Electric Boats] New to group, please evaluate my dual trolling motor setup

 

I was going to power my Stiletto 27 catamaran with a pair of Minn Kota Riptide RT80/EM saltwater grade 80 pound, 24 Volt thrust motors.  I got as far as designing the mounting system to allow the motors to lift above the water to reduce drag while sailing, when I got distracted by other projects and never got around to installing them on the boat.  Now I've sold the cat and I'm looking to sell both complete motor kits, with everything still new in the boxes as shipped from the factory. 

I paid $950 each at West Marine.  I'll entertain any decent offers, so please email me if your interested and I can get you a lot more details.  I can ship them anywhere.

Ken in Fort Worth, Texas

On January 17, 2017 at 11:06 PM "Kev captainyoung@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

 

I think you will be very underpowered. The 30 amp trolling motor, at 12 volts, is using around 350-400 watts. 1 hp = 750watts. So even if your trolling motors are 100% efficient(they are not that efficient), you only have 1hp. And the props are very inefficient.
A 3500lb boat is going to go pretty slow with 1hp. It will move, but probably up to maybe 2 knots with no adverse current or wind.
If the main propulsion will be electric, not sail, I would recommend at least a 2000 watt motor, but 3000 watt would be better. There will be times when you have currents and wind against you. 
But being that you are on a budget, a 5hp gas outboard would be realistic if your goal is to cruise.
If your goal is to mess around with electric boats, 2k budget is probably going to be tight for what you want, unless the electric propulsion will be your auxilary power.
Another option you could go with is a hybrid setup. Buy a honda 2k or 3k generator, and I would look into using an old outboard, and convert it to electric, with an efficient 3000 watt motor.
Get as many solar panels as you can fit, and you will need a lot of batteries.
The solar panels will not put out max power all day. Angle has a huge impact, clouds... If you are willing to go slow, then you could minimize generator time.

 Good luck!


On Jan 17, 2017 6:08 AM, "yahoomail@curtisteam.org [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

 



Hello to the group.   My name is Chris Curtis.  I'm building an obscure type of sailing muiltihull called a proa as a technology demonstration project.   Due to my Proas hull design there is a massive amount of available real estate to mount PV's.  Further the Proa has protuberances that will allow for drop down trolling motors on sleds.  This allows for electric power, steering and "spin" type of operations.


My current entry level plan is primarily dictated by my budget (2K).  I'll have each motor system have its own PV's (400w each), MPPT controller, and two T105's (220AH).  The motors will be standard saltwater 35lb thrust type.  Based on my painfully (likely wrong) rough calculations, in full sun I should get over 90 percent of current into the batteries (30A)  that the motor is pulling (about 35A).  What I'm looking for is the ability to run in full sun with very little battery assist.  On a sunny day I'd like to be able to take off in the ICW (or Abaco Sea) and go until the evening all on electrics without worrying about completely depleting the batteries.  If the project is successful, I'd like to add just a bit more and be able to run at full speed and still have enough power to charge the batteries.   For some perspective, the Proa is 30 feet long, has a 18 inch draft, all told is 20 feet wide and weigh's 3500LBS fully loaded in cruising mode.  The main hull is 32 inches wide at the waterline, 8 feet at the deck.  The small hull or outrigger is like a very large kayak. His (Proas are He's!) planned areas of use are the PNW and the Florida/Bahamas areas of the SE.  He is trailer-able at just over 2000lbs.


I created a folder called VolksProa Dual Electric Proa (or something like that).  If interested please take a look as its a hard boat to understand without a picture.  Please feel free to comment on my idea and plan.  I'm not expecting the world and I do have some experience living under PV (on a boat).  I'd prefer to go with a single system, higher voltage, better motors, etc but it does not fit with the design brief.  It must be a fairly low dollar affair.  Thanks for any time you give this.


 

Chris Curtis



 

 

 


 

__._,_.___

Posted by: ken@omegaatomizers.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (16)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment